A sit down with Dorji Khan

Oddpurplefly

The Bratislava Watchmen won their last 2 games as they try to regain the number one position after leading the league in the standings for roughly half the season. After the last game, Dorji Khan took a few minutes to answer a few of our questions. 

Reporter: Dorji, first off I would like to congratulate you on an impressive first season in the VHLE. How do you feel about your performance so far?

Dorji Khan: Thank you for your kind words. I am truly humbled. This season has been a rollercoaster for myself. I’m happy with my stats and my efforts but there’s always that drive to do better. I was off to a slow start but as the season progressed so did I. The team has also been fantastic and we’ve really gelled this season. Everyone is contributing and we put on a team effort every time we step on the ice, no matter who our linemates are.

Reporter: With 32 goals and 47 assists you’re just one point behind the team and league points leader Ocean Codoller @FreshOceanCod . How does it feel to be so close to the top?

Dorji Khan: He is without a doubt a phenomenal player. Being just one point behind him is motivating me and it’s been great to have such a strong teammate. But I would also like to give a shoutout to Steve French @Seabass who is leading the league with 38 goals. The competition pushes me to perform better and I think it benefits the entire team. To even have my name mentioned in the race for being top of the league is an honor and something I will never forget

Reporter: The Bratislava Watchmen were in first place for most of the season but recently overtaken by the Cologne Express. How is the team handling this change in standings?

Dorji Khan: It’s definitely not easy. We were on top pretty much from the start until recent and seeing Cologne pass us was a wake up call. It’s definitely a challenge for us but we’re staying positive and focused. We know what we’re capable of and it’s just made us more determined to fight back and reclaim our spot... the top spot.

Reporter: As a player from Mongolia, how has your journey been, and what does it mean to represent your homeland in the VHLE?

Dorji Khan: It’s been an incredible journey. Coming from Mongolia especially from a small village where ice hockey isn’t as big or well known to currently playing in the VHLE is a dream come true, as it would be for all the young kids who love hockey. It’s been a unique journey and I’m proud to represent Mongolia. Hockey is growing back home and I hope my success can inspire more young mongols to take up the sport.

Reporter: Can you tell us a bit more about your life in Mongolia? What was it like growing up there?

Dorji Khan: Growing up in Mongolia was amazing for me. Coming from a small village of less than 300 people we didn’t have the facilities or opportunities for hockey but we made do with what we had. We made our own sticks and used ox patties on our frozen pond in winter. My family and community has always been supportive and they played a big role in getting me to where I am today.

Reporter: What are your goals for the rest of the season?

Dorji Khan: My main goal is to help the team win and secure the top spot again. Looking forward to clinching the playoffs and makiny a push for the cup! Personally I want to continue improving my game and contribute as much as I can. Every point counts and I’m focused on giving my best in every game.

Reporter: What do you do to stay motivated and focused especially during tough times?

Dorji Khan: I try to stay grounded and remember why I started playing hockey in the first place. It’s my passion, it flows through my veins. Meditation helps me stay focused and calm under pressure. I aslo spend a lot of time sitting on the bench alone when the arena is empty to visualize plays and situations to better prepare myself for every game.

Reporter: Lastly, what advice would you give to young aspiring hockey players, especially those from Mongolia?

Dorji Khan: Never give up on your dreams, no matter how big they seem. Work hard, stay dedicated and believe in yourself. Surround yourself with the right people and always keep pushing forward. If I can make it, so can you.

PT for week September 2 to 8

Words 769