A potential look at playoff matchups for Chicago

badcolethetitan

A potential look at playoff matchups for Chicago

The Likely

Chicago Phoenix will most likely finish second in the conference, as they currently hold a 5 point gap over the Seattle Bears. Assuming we finished second in the conference, we can most likely look at who we're going to be playing in the first round, which would be one of two teams: The Seattle Bears, or The Vancouver Wolves. Starting off with the Seattle Bears, Chicago holds a 3-0-0 record against them this season, with two more games waiting to be played. However, one thing to note is that two of these games were decided by 1 goal, with the other being a 2 goal affair. This series would be extremely close as last season, Chicago was able to take Seattle to 7 games, unfortunately failing to complete the 3-1 comeback. This would be an amazing series that could go either way. The stats do favor the Phoenix in this series, but as we know in playoffs, anything can happen. Next up the second likely matchup is the Vancouver Wolves. Vancouver sits one point behind Seattle and has a high chance to finish third place and play Chicago. Chicago currently has a 3-2-0 record against Vancouver, with one more game at the end of the season waiting to be played. Chicago would struggle more against Vancouver than Seattle, so the ideal matchup would be Seattle in the first round as well for the storyline. I believe if we went against Vancouver it would easily go 6-7 games, and Vancouver could take the series. Regardless, both these matchups would be extremely close and probably a great series, to which Chicago could finally reach the second round for the first time in a very long time.

The Unlikely 

The one unlikely scenario is that Calgary somehow finds a way to slip into third place to play Chicago. I feel like everything else is pretty impossible, so we'll focus on this one as the last one. Chicago has played Calgary 5 times this season and holds a 4-0-1 record against them. I honestly believe Calgary would be the easiest matchup for Chicago, despite being undefeated against Seattle. I think we could beat Calgary in 5 games, and that we would probably take care of them pretty fast. However, one thing to note is that a wildcard every single season seems to become god and run the table. So it could be Calgary and that would be extremely scary to go against. Regardless, I feel like we'd take care of business there, but again anything can happen in playoffs.

Overall

Overall, I feel like coming into the playoffs this is probably the best team we're going to have for a while. I feel like the team is set up pretty well and there's not many holes. This might be the final run for this team as we have a ton of players potentially going to FA and we need to make some noise come playoff time. I need to win a series this playoffs and the pressure is for sure on. I believe this team can go far with the right luck and STHS seems to love Chicago for some reason. I'm looking forward to the playoffs and anyone can win!