The New Spanish VHLM Sensation Talks About his Successes and Struggles

SMYLS4

Today I am honored to sit down with Pelayo Bolivar, a rising star in the VHLM who was recently drafted 24th Overall by the Halifax 21st. Bolivar has really taken a huge step in his career, entering into the VHLM after his short yet successful stint in the LNHH. 

Interviewer: Good morning Pelayo, I’m grateful you took some time out of your busy day to sit down and chat with me about yourself.

Bolivar: Encantado. The pleasure is all mine.

Interviewer: After your success in the LNHH, what made you decide to enter the VHLM draft? Why not stay in Spain with CH Jaca and try to win another championship?

Bolivar: Growing up I always wanted to one day play with the best of the best. I felt like I accomplished everything I could in Spain, and the next step was to try and make the move overseas. So it was between entering the NHL or the VHL. After meeting with a couple of GMs from both leagues I felt like the VHL had more to offer. That is why I entered the VHLM draft.

Interviewer: Did you have a lot of interest from teams after you declared for the draft?

Bolivar: I had 5 teams reach out to me for pre-draft interviews: Halifax, Houston, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, and Ottawa. I felt like Halifax and Houston showed the most interest after my interview.

Interviewer: Well it seems like Halifax really liked you since they drafted you at 24th. I even heard rumors they were contemplating taking you at 9th. Were you surprised with how the draft went for you? Were you expecting to go higher or lower in the draft?

Bolivar: I honestly was quite surprised. In Spain we are not known for being the best hockey players, it's not a very well scouted region. I was expecting myself to go in a later round, maybe 5th or 6th. So when I got drafted early in the 3rd I was quite surprised.

Interviewer: What would you attribute to your rise in the draft rankings?

Bolivar: I really think having the opportunity to play in the Pro-am and the Junior Showcase Tournaments helped get my name out there. A lot more people had eyes on me which I think helped quite a bit.

Interviewer: Speaking of the Pro-am and Junior Showcase, how do you think your performance has been in the tournaments so far?

Bolivar: The Junior Showcase I feel like I’ve done pretty well so far. You always hope you can do better so we’ll see how the rest of the tournament goes. As for the Pro-am, it's been difficult adjusting to the style of play. There’s a lot of really good players in the tournament. Honestly I was surprised I even got a roster spot. I haven’t really done much yet, as I’m still pointless; but the experience alone I think has been really beneficial.

Interviewer: What are your hopes for the upcoming season with Halifax?

Bolivar: Hopefully we can win it all. That’s the goal. I plan on giving everything I have to help my team succeed. Maybe I can even lead the team in some categories. I’m very excited for the season to start. I look forward to getting started.

Interviewer: Thank you very much for speaking with me. I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming season.

Bolivar: De nada. I will take my chances with my skill any day rather than tener la negra.