Wingate: Tetris Expert

CowboyinAmerica

main_logo.png

Turku, Finland (AP) -- There is no greater pain in life than the mistimed Z-piece, remarks Hans Wingate, goalie for the VHLM's Turku Outlaws. Although, given the situation, an L-piece could be even worse. And a square when you need a straight line - you better not get Sinclair started unless you have an hour to spare.

Why is Sinclair such an expert at Tetris? Because, according to sources who have kept a close eye on the Turku bench during the team's first round series with Moscow, Wingate hasn't had much else to do. Starting goalie Callum Sinclair has played every minute of every game so far in the playoffs, and with a tough Bratislava team next, that's not likely to change. So, Wingate plays Tetris.

"I'm not even sure the coaches notice," Wingate told the press after the clinching Game 5 against Moscow. "Heck, I'm not even sure they know I'm on the team. There's a reason I'm conducting this press conference in the parking lot, and the only reporter who showed up was bribed with free pizza."

And that pizza, I must admit, was excellent. But even so, Wingate provided a worthwhile look into what is a dying breed in the VHLM: an active, engaged backup goalie. Will it ever happen again? Who knows, but let's enjoy the unicorn while we can. Who knows: We all may learn how exactly to navigate three L-blocks in a row.