Claimed:PlayerTribune | Golden Jedtsson's Draft Day [Final 6/6]

Kel

logo-black.png

Golden Jedtsson's Draft Day

Draft Day, the day where mothers and fathers get their reward for all those years of preparations to get their children to this level, where fans staring at the television screen awaiting their future stars to be selected, but what does this day mean for the players? For some it may be exciting and for some others it may be frantic. However, for some like Jedtsson it may be relaxing. During an interview before the draft Golden Jedtsson said, "It's not much to me. I know that this is where I'm going to play for the rest of my career and I won't let the team that drafts me down. I've received phone calls from a few general managers, but I still am oblivious to where I'm going to be drafted tonight. I'm happy for all of the other draftees as there's some great talent in this class, but I'm going to try and compete with them throughout our careers." Golden Jedtsson's wasn't a highly touted prospect heading into the draft, but before his professional career even began people were calling him an easy first round pick. Jedtsson tells us that he wasn't buying that as he knew what his goal in this league was to become a regular defenseman. Although, that quickly changed a couple days before the draft. Jedtsson was contacted by the New York Americans and he was ecstatic to get a call from an East Coast American team as that's where he's played hockey since he traveled overseas to juniors then college at a young age. Minutes before the draft Golden Jedtsson answered, "I wasn't sure if I was going to play anywhere other than Riga or Calgary because those were the two teams contacting me, but then New York's general manager, Chris [Miller] contacted me telling me that they may be looking at picking me. I thought this is where I want to play because they've got a storied history and a knack for drafting elite defenseman." 

Well, the draft's one of those places that you'll walk in and you think, "Wow." It's kind of cliche, but that was my response. However, then it becomes a chess game. You think you're going to play for this team, but then they call a different player's name and at one occasion I thought I was for sure going to Calgary, so when they started off with, 'We're glad to select defenseman', I was up and ready to go. However, then they called Michael Clardy, I don't know who he is, but I've heard from my agent that he's been trying to hype himself up the week prior to the draft despite his huge drop in activity. Then, Helsinki came to the podium. I knew I wasn't going there because we hadn't even spoken to one another before the draft, so it would have been a complete shock. I was starting to believe that my work ethic threw off a lot of teams, which it did. However, the New York Americans were now on the clock with the first pick in the second round, 11th overall. I was sure this is where I'd end up. I had some great conversations with their head office and I believe both of us were on the right page. Chris Miller walked up to the podium grinning and said, "With the 11th overall pick, the New York Americans select Golden Jedtsson." With that came a huge roar from my family and I got up shook my father's hand, gave my mother a kiss on the cheek, gave my brother, sister & grandparents a hug, then I was on my way to the stage. I got to the stage put on my New York Americans cap and my new jersey with a big smile on my face through the whole process. New York's going to be my home for next 8 seasons. 

Edited by John

Content: 3/3- Great article. New York is a great team you will enjoy it a lot! over the word count.

Grammar: 2.2- Not too shabby.

Appearance: 1/1- Good! Maybe a picture next time?

Final 6/6