Iron Eagles look forward to off-season

scotty

VASTERAS, Swe. – The Iron Eagles have completed yet another season without a playoff berth to their name. Despite showing signs of optimism, especially early, Vasteras sagged to a 26-40-6 record which was only good enough for eighth place in the 10-team VHL.

S35 was a learning experience for rookie centre Leon Leitner as the 19-year-old struggled with the transition to the league throughout the course of the season. Inserted into a new position, Leitner wound up with a respectable 30 points at season’s end but there is no doubt that the Austrian forward has areas of improvement.

Leitner says he’s looking forward to the off-season where he has a number of areas of his game he wants to focus on.

“This year it was really all about making some in-season adjustments in learning a new position. I think by the end of the year I made some nice strides as a centre, but now I need to focus elsewhere,” Leitner said. “Strength is a big thing I want to improve, and also just polishing some technical skills. I felt like I was so focused on the defensive aspect of the position this year that I really didn’t have a chance to bear down on my role as an offensive player.”