Looking forward to S57

scoop

When was the last time that the VHL had a season where every team had a goalie who was in their 4th+ season? I don't know either, but it could happen in a few seasons. Before I go any further, I will say that this is a lot of speculation and things very well can change. Not everything goes as expected (was anyone expecting Boom to retire?). But the point is, it's possible that in S57, there will be ten goalies who are past their rookie contracts. It's actually even possible that all ten of those goalies would be back in S58.

S56 will mark the last possible season for S49 players, which would mean the end of Ilya Kopralkov if he is still around at the time. That would potentially leave the list of goalies as the following:

S51 Apollo Skye

S52 Rhett DeGrath

*S52 Edwin Threencarnacion

S53 mist4ke

S53 Rubber Band

**S53 M.T. Power

**S53 Jacob

S54 Vernon Von Axelberry

S54 Marcus King

S54 Torstein Ironside

*Backup only

**GM Player

Yes, Edwin Threencarnacion has said he's a backup. But in S57, he will have earned some extra starts. If I remember correctly, he adds four starts each season, so his minimum in S57 will be 28 starts, plus potentially some more depending on random chance.

I would expect by S57, all of these goalies will be starter quality. I suppose with some of them, it will depend on how much the members dedicate to their second player. By then, some of them might have moved on to a second player away from their goalie and put more effort into that player. But it's entirely possible that these are all quality players by S57, and as I said, they might all still be around in S58 as well (S58 would be the last possible season for Skye).

Needless to say, there doesn't look to be a shortage of goalies in the future. The S52-S54 run of classes includes a total of eight -- actually, lol oh fuck I forgot about any S54 goalies who weren't second players created at the deadline. There are a couple more, though one of them doesn't seem too active yet, but Chet Manley could eventually be a starter. I'm entirely too lazy to go up and add him to the list (and that would also make this realization unnecessary to post because you as a reader wouldn't have realized that I missed him). Including Manley, that becomes a total of ten goalies in the three-class stretch of S52-S54. That's a little crazy.

But we'll have to wait and see what really happens with this.

for mist4ke

Edited by Streetlight