Ying talks about World Cup

Gudnason

With the World Cup now over and done with it, many players are returning back to their club teams as training camps are underway for the new season. Some participants at the World Cup decided to go on a brief offseason vacation before returning to their clubs, and Chinese center Rudi Ying is one of them. We caught up with Ying in Beijing today as he returns to his home country to help with promotional activities regarding the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.

Asked how his performance was in the World Cup, Ying said that he's disappointed he didn't manage to pick up a single point despite playing on a line with the tournament's top two leading scorers, Pietro Maximoff and Franchise Cornerstone, for most of the tournament. "It was very enjoyable spreading the puck around with them on the ice with me, and I definitely feel like I contributed to a lot of the goals so they scored, so why I didn't get on the scoresheet I'm not quite sure. Maybe there was a deflection or two before they scored, maybe the opposition nicked it away for a second... maybe they were all tertiary assists, we'll never know. All I'm happy with is my experience playing with such top level players, I know I have to keep on working and putting in the effort to succeed both in the VHL and in the World Cup in the future."

When his agent punkhippie was asked about other people's comments on how Ying was selected to the roster due to personal connections between him and the GM, and getting the call over players such as Fredinamijs Krigars, punkhippie had this to say, "well I understand where people were coming from, Ying just finished his first pro season down in Las Vegas while you have Krigars a potential Christian Stolzschweiger contender in Riga. I will say this though, the only two skaters to not pick up a single point in this tournament were Krigars and Ying. I'll let you decide what that means."