Claimed: Augustus Gloop Update (1/2)

Augustus Gloop Update

200_s.gif

Augustus Gloop, the rookie defenseman from the Yukon Rush has been a solid defensive defenseman for the squad all season long despite his limited training throughout the year.  The 5’11” 199lb defenseman from Düsselheim, Germany has been putting on a hitting and shot blocking clinic in his first 52 career games for the Rush.  His progression has been slow, stagnant even, but if the Rush can convince him to stay active and continue practicing, he’s already got the defense to hang and the rest of his game can come around.

Coming in as a 5th round draft pick, the Rush couldn’t have been expecting much out of him, especially his rookie season but it’s safe to say he’s exceeded their expectations. Gloop has blocked 107 shots for the Rush who have already allowed 181 goals while only scoring 84. That means they’re allowing over 3 goals against per game. Imagine how many goals they’d be letting in if Gloob weren’t out there blocking shots. You’d have to assume they would have won fewer than the eight games they’re at right now.  Second in the league in blocked shots is Bastian Stolzschweiger, also of the Yukon Rush, with 91 blocked shots. Bastian was taken in the fourth round of the draft making Gloop arguably a better pick in the draft.

As we said, Augustus is putting on a hitting clinic as well leading the league with 204 hits, almost four hits per game for the Rush. Second in hits is Rask Rowe of the Las Vegas Aces, a team that has really fallen from grace and find themselves in fourth place with a record of 15-32, just 15 points ahead of the 8-42 Rush. I was unable to find how Rask Rowe entered the league so I can’t comment on whether or not Gloop has been a more valuable pick or not but I will say that the fact that Gloop is leading over a number of players assumingly picked in rounds one through four means that he’s been a steal thus far.

If Gloop can keep up with the pace he’s on now, we should see him approach 150 blocked shots and 282 hits. I couldn’t tell you what the VHLM records are for hits and blocked shots, I would assume we’d be looking at 200+ blocked shots and 300+ hits but Gloop appears destined to be a VHLM lifer so those numbers might be possible in future years.

The combination of Stolzschweiger and Gloop should be a good combination until Bastian takes his game to the next level and joins his VHL squad the Cologne Express. The German duo has combined for 68 points (34 apiece) as well as 313 hits and 198 blocked shots. They’re not going to blow anyone away with their scoring prowess but they’re definitely serviceable defensemen for the Rush and should stick together for at least another season.

“I like to hit. I like to hit almost as much as I like to eat. I eat anything and everything I can get my hands on.”