Claimed: Back to the hotel (1/2)

jRuutu

tumblr_nvrm5vqjuA1qbxi45o1_400.gif

I was born in Finland 25 years ago, that is also quite interestingly the same amount of years I have had the name Fabio with me. Growing up in Finland as a Fabio was not easy, but the olde rI got, the easier everything was.  I was only one in my 7th grade glass that could grow a mustache, so naturally I got a lot of attention from the ladies and my awesome hockey skills helped me to get into groups with the fellas.

Fast forward ten or so years, I´m living in Quebec and my name has really started to bother me. Guys on the ice are pretty vicious, they will say and do whatever it takes to make me lose control and perhaps force me to do something that earns a two or even five minute penalty.  They say stupid things like: Hey Fabio, you are my wifes favorite hockey playergirlfriend wants to know what you do to get your hair to be so wavy and of course the classic, get off the ice - real men are playing.

Those are just the things my teammates in Quebec say to me. Some of the things players from opposite teams say to me cant even be repeated, they are that bad. When you hear people throwing jabs at you every day, it gets old quite quickly.

tenor.gif

I believe the reason why they target me is my name. Fabio is not a name you hear so often, at least in the hockey world, so I have been thinking of changing it.  At first I could see it being bit awkward to try and get everybody to use the new name, but I reckon after little while people will remember and get used to it.  Look at Wayne Rooney for example, he used to be almost bold, but now he got hair again. Same thing with me and my possible new name, at first it´s weird, but in year or two, nobody is that interested on why or how, they just use the new name.

Now, the potential new name has to be something that describes me as a person. Ron is a good name in my mind and fits my personality well, I´m bit shy and hate people.  Tyrone could be interesting option as well, traditionally speaking you don´t see too many hockey players named as Tyrone, but then again the same problem I have with Fabio could keep going with Tyrone, players could make jokes like: Hey Tyrone, you are my aunts favorite hockey player, cousin wants to know what you do to get those neck muscles and the classic: when you got out of the slammer?.

I will need to give this a real thought and bounce ideas around and see if I find a better name for myself. At the moment those two are leading options, but I´m still not feeling them. Meanwhile I´m going to do my best to ignore the attempts to get under my skin and just focus playing hockey.