Interview with Alexander Pepper [1/2]

Jose Gonzalez

We caught up with Alexander Pepper after the game in Halifax today. Alexander has been consistent in net these year so far, along with the Aces who are currently in 2nd place in the VHLM.

Media: Alexander what has been your favorite thing about playing in Las Vegas?

Alexander: Easily, the fans. This city's been crazy ever since the Golden Knights started playing well, and a lot of that excitement has trickled down to our own team. When I was growing up, I'd go watch the Thunder and Wranglers play, but those older crowds were nothing compared to what we have today. Vegas got a chance to show how much of a hockey town they are, and they're running with it, no question. It still makes me smile when I see someone wearing a shirt or jersey with my name and number on the back. I don't know if I'll ever get used to the feeling.

Media: What do you think is one thing that as a team Vegas can do to improve?

Alexander: Goal scoring, for sure. We have a couple of guys in this locker room that are hungry to score, you can tell. It's frustrating to lose games 2-1, or 3-2, when everyone's playing so well but the bounces just go our way. If we can find a way to get our best guys out front to turn those into tie games, I think we'd be almost untouchable.

I really can't complain about defense, or any other part of our game for that matter. We're toward the top of the standings for a reason; I think our guys have a lot to be proud of, and with a couple tweaks you could see us seriously competing for the Founder's Cup.

Media: Is there anything you can improve on?

Alexander: I definitely need to get better at moving across the crease. I've let in a couple bad ones this year off of rebounds, or a pass that I knew for sure was coming. Don't think I'm really confident enough to commit hard to those kinds of plays, but I honestly think I need to take a little more of a risk when handling those sorts of situations.

Media: Is the locker room in Las Vegas similar to many other locker rooms you have been in?

Alexander: You'd think not, you'd think most locker rooms are similar enough, but the Aces' locker room has been such a massive change in scenery for me. These guys have a serious drive to be competitive, and it helps bring the morale of everyone up. I haven't been to a game this year where our guys didn't come prepared and hyped for the task at hand, and I think it's really been showing in our play. Rev is always trying to keep us loud and rowdy, and even the younger guys like Jose aren't afraid to get loud. They want to win, and they want it bad.

Media: The most recent VHLM draft has had two Las Vegas locals including you who was born in Las Vegas. Do you think that this is a growing trend or is this just a coincidence?

Alexander: I don't think it's coincidence, at all. A lot of locals here are huge fans of sports in general, so it doesn't surprise me to see other local hockey players getting a shot at the next level. I know some are quick to criticize Vegas as a gambler's town, but that mindset should change pretty soon once our guys start making waves.

Media: Are there any VHL teams you are hoping to be drafted by?

Alexander: Anyone, really. The VHL always felt like an unachievable goal, like I would never really be quite good enough to compete at their level. To think that I'm so close, as it sits right now, is humbling enough on its own. If anyone is willing to pick me up in any capacity, I'll gladly play wherever I'm needed.

words 664

Review: Oooh, an interview with Pepper. It's a good interview, very organized, and the questions are good, but the interview seems robotic and automatic. Because it's just Question, Answer, Question, Answer, etc. If you could make it more fluid and flexible, it would be awesome. (Put some humour too.) If you want some ideas, read the notstevedangle podcast.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Interview with Alexander Pepper [1/2]