New Over Old: An Afterthought

diamond_ace

In my recent media series, New Over Old, I discussed the fact that while a highly select group of recreates dot the top of the upcoming draft, a great handful of first-gens in larger numbers should make a larger total impact on the draft class. While this obviously appears to be a true claim at this time, given the sheer number of first-gens making an impact in this draft (and many people can argue that, for example, Jakob Linholm and Ron World Peace combined make for a better combination than Tom Slaughter and NYA D2, so these numbers give the first gens a greater total impact, which was my claim), I'm prepared to make a further claim. This further claim will be more controversial than the first. I'm prepared to say that in terms of singular on-ice success throughout their careers, Tom Slaughter, Slaeter Fjorsstrom, and Logan Laich will not all finish above every first-gen. Sure, they might win in TPE (having an edge now means that even if a first-gen fills up their cap every week, if these three do the same they'll maintain the same edge) but as has been proven time and time again, TPE doesn't necessarily equate to success. 

There will be at least one first-gen who outperforms his TPE, and there will be at least one of the big three who underperforms his TPE. Coupled with the fact that the gaps could remain small, and it could produce a shock. Also, Logan Laich (the only one of the big three to whom this applies) isn't far ahead of the top first-gens at all. He's only 6 TPE ahead of Ron World Peace at the moment, and over 100 behind Fjorsstrom and Slaughter.

Take, for example, Slaeter Fjorsstrom and Konstantin Jaroslav Azhishchenkov. Currently, the gap is 232 TPE to 73 TPE, a difference of 159 TPE. Right now, that means all the difference in the world. How much will it mean if the two keep the same pace, and the gap becomes 959 TPE to 800 TPE? With a proper build and a bit of luck, an 800 TPE player can easily outperform a 959 TPE player. (Note this is just an example. My claim is only that a first-gen can outperform a recreate even if the recreate doesn't slip up and that at least one will, not that specifically Azhishchenkov will outperform specifically Fjorsstrom. They are just each examples of their own classification.)

or he could ;)

If someone forced me right now to pick which first-gen will perform best, I'd probably pick you, although it's far too early to tell and this is nothing against other first-gens, many of whom are right in the same range.

If someone forced me right now to pick which first-gen will perform best, I'd probably pick you, although it's far too early to tell and this is nothing against other first-gens, many of whom are right in the same range.

Thank you Diamond! That means a lot!