S66 Draft Prospect Interview: Kolur Bjoernsson - G

jblock3

(707 words)

As we begin to near the end of the regular season, many fans and players are looking ahead to the upcoming VHLM and VHL entry drafts for Season 66. VHLM clubs are looking for upcoming amateur talent and current undrafted rookies to help bolster their rosters for next season. At the same time, VHL teams are waiting for the opportunity to swoop in and lay claim to the top VHLM rookies. In some cases, a player will be available for both the VHLM entry draft and the VHL entry draft this offseason. One such player is Icelandic goaltender Kolur Bjoernsson. Bjoernsson came into the league late, missing the Season 65 VHLM entry draft and signing as an undrafted free agent with the Minnesota Storm. As an undrafted free agent, he will now be available for selection in this season's VHLM draft. Despite being undrafted, he is still a VHLM rookie this season and will therefore also be available in the VHL entry draft. We recently sat down with Kolur for an interview to discuss his season so far and his availability in each of the upcoming drafts. Our questions will be shown below in bold lettering and Kolur's responses will be shown in "quotes."

You've had a busy season, including two trades and therefore playing on three different teams. Has this been difficult for you as you try to settle into the league and try to develop your career?

"It has definitely been interesting, but nothing I can't handle. I moved to the US from Iceland at a relatively young age so I'm used to moving around and living in temporary arrangements. It's also been a good opportunity for me to experience some new places and explore the country a bit more. It has been weird having to keep adjusting to different teams and fitting in with different groups of players and management. But I knew coming into the season that I would just be in Minnesota temporarily since I will be available in the next draft. The trades weren't exactly expected, but I've been able to adjust to everything so far."

You were traded from the Minnesota Storm to the Philadelphia Reapers, and then from the Reapers to the Las Vegas Aces. Where did you fit into each of these rosters and do you see any of them taking you in the draft? 

"Well in Minnesota I was just the backup, which is exactly what I was expecting for this season. Divaani Sohva is a good goalie and it was a good experience to back him up and learn from him in practice each week I was there. They are a strong team so I wasn't too surprised when they dealt me for some more talent to shore up their chances for a championship. Philadelphia is going into a rebuild and grabbed me from Minny to be the starter. It was a good situation to get some starts and not have a ton of pressure to succeed at a high level. Really allowed me to start learning this league and what it means to be a starter. It's a bit of a different situation now in Vegas. I'm backing Derion up for now, but might be able to work my way up to get some starts later on. We're hoping to make a playoff run so it could definitely be fun to be able to start some games during that run. I think we'll probably have to wait to see how I progress for the rest of this season to know if any of these teams will draft me. It'll also depend on if any of the better goalies on their rosters get called up to the VHL."

Are there any particular teams you'd prefer to be selected by in either draft?

"I enjoyed living in Philly so I wouldn't mind another shot with Reapers. I'm also enjoying Vegas and I think the rest of the season here will be a good experience, so I would happy to be drafted by the Aces as well. I haven't thought much about VHL teams, but I know being apart of a new expansion would be really cool. Malmo would be a cool place to go to for sure."

@jblock3 Vegas is extremely excited to have you on board for the remainder of S65 + playoffs.

After you claim this article for "draft theme week" you will be over 100 TPE!
Make sure to take advantage of the +10 that comes with reaching that milestone Found Here

Edited by Jubo07