Playoff Time in Halifax

Image result for hockey playoffs

It's Playoff Time in Halifax!

When Lance Flowers joined Halifax 21st at the two-thirds mark of the season, the young defenseman assumed that he was joining a fourth-place team. Maybe, just maybe, he thought they could get to third and avoid the tough 4/5, then potentially 1/4 matchups.

But this? This was just unexpected.

By beating Ottawa on the final day of the season, Halifax pulled ahead of the Lynx for second in the VHLM, finishing with 108 points to Ottawa’s 107 and Saskatoon’s 105. For Flowers, the late season surge simply reinforced that he made the right decision with his waivers selection and that he was truly on a contender.

“I knew the team looked strong when I got here, but I even have to admit that I didn’t see this coming,” Flowers said following the end of the regular season. “It’s not like we played weak competition either, there are multiple wins against Ottawa, Saskatoon and other playoff teams in this stretch. We did this up right.”

Halifax opens the playoffs against the San Diego Marlins on Tuesday – a matchup that isn’t lost on Flowers, seeing as how San Diego was another one of his suitors. Some fans may be looking past the first round to a potential face off against Ottawa in the second round, but you won’t see that sentiment anywhere in the locker room.

“San Diego’s not your normal 7 seed; they finished with 84 points, after all,” Flowers explained. “We have a tough test ahead of us as far as we go in these playoffs, but I feel confident in our ability to pick up the wins.”