Flowers Reflects on First VHLM Season

Image result for hockey sweep

Following Sweep, Lance Flowers Looks Back

Coming into the playoffs, Lance Flowers and his Halifax 21st teammates had high hopes for a potential finals run, which would have been the third straight for the franchise. But alas, it wasn't meant to be, as Halifax fell in a clean sweep to the third seeded Ottawa Lynx. To make the loss more excruciating, three of the four losses were in overtime, including the final two in the series.

Still, there are some bright spots for Flowers personally as he prepares to enter the VHLM Draft. He proved to be a consistent defender for Halifax during his time with the team, despite only joining via a waiver claim at the trade deadline. By the time of the Ottawa series, Flowers had worked his way up to the team's first line, and he finished with 6 assists and a +2 rating in 8 playoff games.

"We didn't reach our ultimate goal, but I'm still happy with the season we had," Flowers told reporters in a season-ending press conference. "When you remember that we were fighting for the four seed when I signed, I'd say our regular season run was an absolute success. I can be proud of what we did."

Now, Flowers will enter the VHLM Draft, where he may very well be a high pick. He's certainly not a scorer, but his defensive and passing ability would be welcomed on many teams across the VHLM. And, of course, there is the Season 68 VHL Draft past that.

But for now, Flowers expects a long vacation and isn't thinking too much about the future. "I'm ready to refocus and get ready for the next phase of my career," Flowers said. "I'm ready to work on the future, but I also think a little rest and relaxation isn't the worst thing in the world."