Flowers Feels the (Yukon) Rush

Card image cap

Yukon -- Going into the VHLM Draft, defenseman Lance Flowers had no clue where he’d end up. That’s usually not a true cliche—many draft prospects have at least some idea—but in Flowers’ case it fits. Could he slip, because defensemen weren’t highly valued? Could he go early, even number one, because of his high skill level? Would the team taking him be rebuilding, or an already formed playoff team?

So when Flowers went off the board early at No. 2, he was as surprised as everyone else. But now, as one of the newest members of the Yukon Rush, he’s thankful and ecstatic for the opportunity to be playing on the team.

“I feel good about this one. It feels right,” Flowers told reporters shortly after being drafted. “I’m only likely here one season, which means I want to get after it, early. I think this is a team that could do that.”

Indeed, with many early picks, Yukon could be set up to do just that. It’s telling that of the top four prospects currently in the S68 by TPE, three of them are on this Yukon team. Wolf Stansson Jr. will likely be Flowers’ defensive teammate on the first line, while S68 forward Frans Eller is set to be the team’s top offensive star. When other talent like Plunkett, Draven, Rushmore and Perrin are added in, there’s a distinct core for this Rush team.

Could that mean a championship? It’s certainly too early to tell, but Flowers isn’t shy about saying that’s the goal. “To me, it’s title or bust,” he explained. “I feel fine putting that as the expectation, because I think this team can get there. It’s just a matter of working for it.”