This Week with David Wallace

Juddy

David Wallace entered the VHL world a few backs, and in a day sign with the VHLM team Las Vegas Aces. He made the choice after receiving several offers, all from non playoff teams. Wallace has since played 18 games for the Aces and has 2 goals and 7 assists for 9 points and is a -3 thus far. 

“The goal for me was to get my feet wet and to see how the competition was, build my game and become elite. I know what type of player I am and I know I can play here and do well, I just to work on some things and I will be an All Star in VHLM next season you can count on that.” Commented Wallace after his last game.

Strong words from such a new player in this league an environment. There may be some merit to what he was saying. Since entering the league he has moved up 30 spots in the pre draft ranking, and with all the hard work he’s put in he will only climb higher. He started ranked 93 and is now ranked in the low 60s. That’s a huge leap for a new member, with that continued growth we could see him climb into the top 30 very soon. 

We asked Wallace about where he’d like to be drafted he said. “ For VHLM draft I have enjoyed my time in Vegas, but anywhere I can win i don’t care round or spot let’s just win. The VHL draft is slightly different, I want to go to a place where I can thrive. I don’t mind not winning the first year or two and building up a good team and chemistry so we can eventually win a few championships in a row.”

With Wallace the Las Vegas Aces have climbed up to claim the 8th seed in the league. Is this a coincidence or has Wallace helped to elevate his teammates game and helped push them over the top. 

“We have a great locker room in Vegas, my teammates are great, the GM is dedicated, we work hard together. Are we winning because of me? No, we are winning through our hard work and team mentality.” Said Wallace when asked about the team rising in the standings. 

Wallace is the type of young motivated player, that has many great years ahead of him. He is seen as project prospect, but if he continues to work like he has his first few weeks here then he can work his way up to a sneaky top tier prospect that many teams will be fighting over come draft day. 

Wallace did not make a World Junior Champion roster this year, he seems to have just missed the cut. He is likely a lock for the team next year. Whether that is for team Europe or the mercenary team, who knows but he will be playing that tournament this time next year. His snub motivates him to make sure he makes a team next year and showcase his skill on such a huge stage.

• 5 weeks later...

David Wallace has finished his season with the Las Vegas Aces with a first round playoff loss. In 5 play off games Wallace put up 3 goals and was a -4 with 4 PIM and 8 hits. Not great stats but what jumps out is the 3 goals and 0 assists, Wallace has shown the potential to be an elite playmaker, yet in the 5 playoff games he didn’t have a single assist and put up 3 goals. This shows promise in the young player that he could develop a more balanced offensive game as his career progresses. Players know what they’re good at and will push themselves harder in that area to improve while also pushing themselves to improve in other areas to become a better all around player. Wallace has demonstrated, even in a small sample size, that he isn’t just focusing on being the best passer in the game he wants to be the best player.

The regular season is where Wallace showed more of his playmaking ability. He only played 41 games but finished the season with 5 goals and 19 assists for 24 points, a -2, 10 PIM, and 61 hits. He put those numbers up, while being behind the rest of the league in growth, going into next season those numbers should all sky rocket. Wallace being a -2 is a stat that jumps out because he wasn’t on a top seeded team, the Las Vegas Aces needed to win the last game to get into the playoffs as the 8 seed, and had a 46 loss season. For being only a -2 on a mediocre to bad team shows that Wallace respects the two way game and plays a full 200 foot game. He is developing Into a legit two way forward.

Going into the VHL draft weekend, central scouting bureau has Wallace ranked as the number 48 prospect, but they show him at 105 TPE, when he is currently at 127. I have reached out to a few different league sources across the VHL and VHLM and they believe Wallace will be selected anywhere in between the 2nd and 4th round of the draft. There have been a few teams that have shown interest and have interviewed Wallace but anything can happen come draft day and Wallace is mentally prepared to be a 1st rounder or even selected last overall. 

I love the game, I love being around the guys in the locker room, I love the atmosphere that surrounds the rink and the wonderful sport of hockey. I would love to go #1 overall but I came here too late for that and I understand that. I just want to play for a team that wants me and will give me the opportunity to show off my skill and how good I feel I can be. Said Wallace when we reached out for comment on the upcoming draft.

Wallace’s team has also made it known that he is very interested and intrigued with the chance to play for an expansion team. The two new markets are both great hockey markets and the chance for him to be a cornerstone piece for a new franchise is a challenge Wallace would be ready and willing to embrace. With that being said Wallace made it perfectly clear in his comment he would welcome any opportunity to play for any team in the VHL.