It Was a Hit

CowboyinAmerica

Image result for new york rangers hit

Lance Flowers is in Pain

New York -- Americans defenseman Lance Flowers has been taking it easy during the current VHL playoffs. Part of that is simply not playing competitive hockey, seeing as how the Americans missed out on the playoffs in the final week. But the bigger issue is - ow, his body hurts from a whole lot of contact.

Flowers finished with 294 hits, easily leading the league with 15 more than DC's Sven Hitz and 47 more than third place Leph Twinger. He also finished top five in the league in both shots blocked (159, fifth) and penalty minutes (182, fifth), meaning there's a whole lot more contact he made while on the ice.

All told, it means a well deserved ice bath for the defenseman. And could it mean an award or two as well? Without doing much research, Flowers certainly believes he has a case for both Rookie of the Year and Top Defensive Defenseman.

"It is what it is, if I get some awards I'll be ecstatic. But especially in my first season, I know better than to expect too terribly much," Flowers told VHL.com from his home in suburban New York during the offseason. "I'm proud of how I've played and how the Americans did better than expected. The main thing now is to prepare for next year, I don't need more inspiration to do so."