A case for Dan Wilinsky

oilmandan

I don’t believe Dan Wilinsky belongs in the HOF, but as he just played his final VHL game of his career, I thought I’d make a case for possible entry into the hall. 

Dan Wilinsky spent the first half of his career on what would be a doomed rebuild of the New York Americans. He was originally selected 7th overall and was the 3rd pick of the draft for New York behind Joseph McWolf and Scott Shawinganen. 

He toiled for 4 seasons in New York before being shipped mid season to Helsinki, where he exploded offensively for 2 years trying to help the TItans win another Continental Cup. 

In season 6 he signed as a free agent in Seattle and enjoyed another great campaign, helping the Bears win a second consecutive championship. 

Dealt to Malmo for his final year, he certainly showed his age and struggled most of the year. Ultimately the Nighthawks fell short of the playoffs, finishing what was a disappointing season all around. 

7 seasons of 30 goals and 6 with over 60, he was a model of consistency even if he never was considered truly elite. 

He won a Scott Boulet in S67, which was his peak performing level. 

For his career, Wilinsky finished with 257 goals and 558 Points and 1370 hits.

There are definitely many more deserving entries, but maybe down the line Wilinsky may at least sneak on a ballot