Bob to Helsinki

jRuutu

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Helsinki, Capital of Finland

Jim Bob, one of the most physical players in the season 71 VHL draft was picked 6th overall by the Helsinki Titans. Bob and his agency have deep connections to Finland as a country, so it could be that the agency was a factor in Bob getting picked as early as he did. Another physical winger Thomas Landry II was picked even earlier at fifth overall, he was the leading hitter last year in VHLM, so could it be that VHL as a league is looking to get more physical? Two heavy-hitting wingers picked this early is something you rarely see.

To get ready for the upcoming season the teams have already started their training camps, we met with Jim Bob in Helsinki yesterday and asked couple questions:

Jim Bob, great that you could make it, first of all - tell us a little bit what it means to get drafted?
JB: Its a dream come true. I have worked hard the past couple of seasons, so to get drafted and this early - just amazing.

Thoughts on getting picked by Helsinki,  happy to play for the Titans?
JB: Absolutely, everybody has been nice and we got a lot of talent in the roster, excited to get started and hopefully I´m able to show everybody that I´m the right man for the job and they did not make a mistake in drafting me sixth overall.

Playing in VHL is a lot different than playing in the juniors - you reckon you have to do adjustments to your game?
JB: It´s a different game almost like so much speed and skill, but I´m not planning on changing my game too much, going to play hard in every shift and finish my checks. Keep it simple, important to get a solid start, so I´m not getting benched or anything like that.

What about your role in the team, any idea on what kind of role you will be playing in?

JB: Tough to say, to be honest, this training camp will tell us a lot more, but from the early talks with the management, they mentioned if everything goes well and I can keep up with the other guys, I could get top-6 minutes with powerplay as well. I need to work hard here to get that role, but I´m confident I´m able to start the season in a solid role. Up to me to stay in that role of course.

One more question, how do you think your rookie season goes?
JB: If I´m able to stay healthy and play on the powerplay, for example, I think I could be getting at least 30 points, that would be a fine year. My game is not all about points, after all, my job is to go into the dirty areas, go into the corners and in front of the net and make space for the more skilled players, if I can do that - I´m happy with my rookie year.

Thank you, Jim Bob and good luck!
JB: Thank you.