It's Go Time for Flowers, NYA

Brian Leetch: The Road to the 1994 Conn Smythe Trophy

New York, NY -- Last season didn’t turn out the way the New York Americans had hoped, missing the playoffs in a tough North American Conference. Defenseman Lance Flowers received some accolades for his play, however, picking up a nod for Second-Team All-VHL and a few votes for the top Defensive Defenseman award.

Now, entering Flowers’ fifth season in the VHL, he’s hoping this is the year it all comes together—both for the Americans and for him personally.

“For the team, well, it’s obvious. Our core is entering their primes and will be moving out of it quickly. To use a popular phrase recently, it’s very possible this is our Last Dance,” Flowers said at the team’s preseason Media Day in Manhattan. “But for me too, I feel like Father Time is going to catch up to me quickly. I need to continue to prove myself at a high level.”

Indeed, Flowers hasn’t won an individual accolade since his first year in the VHL, when he was both Rookie of the Year and top Defensive Defenseman. Season 71 was his best season in three years, though, and shows that he’s continued to have growth throughout his time in the league. Now, Flowers feels it’s time to prove it on the ice.

“We’ve got a tough first line, and me and [Michael Gary] Scott might very well be the best defenseman duo in the whole league. I hope it shows in our play this season, but as we’ve learned the past couple of years, you never know what’s going to happen in the VHL.”