Miami Bound LeBastard Makes History

S72 VHLM Dispersal Draft News

alb.png.cfc52240bff9c771f335c004cc3c7167.png

History was made today, as Andre LeBastard was made the first-ever Draft pick by the expansion team the Miami Marauders. Selected at 23rd overall, the 18 years old center had been the number 4 ranked centre in this seasons draft, despite having only 18 games VHLM experience, a few clubs had indicated that they were tracking the Ottawa native prior to the draft commencement.  

The Miami GM had indicated that he was looking to build for the next few seasons, so picking LeBastad in this spot perhaps was mot too much of a reach. Finding young talent with the potential to blossom is meat and drink for a GM at the draft. So, the draft picks gained by the expansion Miami Marauders in this draft are certainly a step in the right direction for the club. All that remains now is the process of developing that talent and building a hockey club from the ground up. No small task. 

Andre LeBastard was surprised to hear his name called with the 23rd pick overall, he had been expecting to go much lower. 'I was kind of shocked, I wasn't sure that I had heard my name called or if I was imagining it', he chuckled. 'Then I looked up at the big board and saw my name and I knew I wasn't dreaming, it also helped that my mum kind of grabbed me and hugged me, so I knew she wouldn't have done that unless I had been picked.' 'I don't remember the walk up to the stage, if I'm being honest, hopefully, I can watch the tape later on and it will come back to me, but I was definitely in dreamland, that's for sure.'

It was really nice to be the first pick for an expansion club, I think it means that we can grow together, the club and the players, it's all brand new'. 'Anything we do is fresh and new, it has not been done before here and we have a clean slate to make our own history together.' Lebastard went on to say, 'I'm really excited for that and I want to be part of the process and help the team win some games and eventually be a playoff club'.

'I think it will be tough the first season for us for sure, you only have to look at the talent that went in the first top ten to see that there are going to be some quality teams on the ice', he said.  He then went on to add, 'But I like what the management here has been saying and the way that they have laid out the plans for the next couple, three seasons, moving forward.' 'I had a chance to meet a couple of the players, Bacon our goalie, I know from my time at Mississagua last season, and the other guys that have come in either through the draft, or via Free Agency, are all good guys, I think it will be a fun room for sure', he finished.

Article Review:

Congrats on being the first ever Miami draft pick! This article did a great job at a couple of different things. You did a great job recounting your draft day experience, especially as someone who joined the league towards the end of the season. Secondly, this will be a great piece to show free agents during the season. I know you and Bacon from Mississauga last year, but you did a great job talking about what Miami is building, and having you 2 in the room as leaders will make a great locker room. I'm sure FA will be thrilled to have the chance to join you. Finally, you did excellent setting realistic expectations for a brand new team, while still maintaining a positive attitude. I have no doubt you'll be hard to play when we meet on the ice.

My suggestion for your article would be to give it a quick once over. There are just a couple of small spelling errors, or awkward phrases. In your second paragraph you have mot instead of not. Phrases such as "look at the talent in the first top ten" comes off kind of awkwardly. Removing either top ten or first will make it come off the tongue a little bit easier. "The plans for the next couple, three seasons, moving forward" could also be changed to something like, "the plans for this season and moving forward."

Overall it's a great article, which has my new favourite phrase "meat and drink for a GM." We're going to miss you and Bacon in Mississauga this season. Good luck in Miami!

8/10 

Let me start off by saying holy crap @joeg, that is the most thorough and in-depth review and it put the rest of us all too shame haha.

Review:

Good introductory article for your player joining a new franchise. I liked the use of quotes from your player throughout the article. You almost get to hear two inputs from the writer and the player. I agree with Joeg that you should read over it yourself before you post it just to correct any typos. I’ve caught myself doing it numerous times. Keep up the good work Andre, excited to have you in Miami for the next couple seasons!

Rating 7.5/10