Vaakanainen - Rookie Experience

Jubo

VV-sig-1.png

Rookie Experience

The first off-season for Vaakanainen with the Titans is in the books. Today marks the start of his VHL career. Expectations have heightened as Helsinki had a very successful summer bringing in a star goalie in Michael Johnson and a top UFA in Alexander Rodriguez. The team has improved in every area of the game it would seem. After losing Kronos Bailey to retirement there was certainly room for improvement and it appears the Titans did a fine job tuning the roster.

Expectations

Vaakanainen projects to start the season on the 3rd line and may have a shot on the powerplay based on how the line chemistries work out of the gate. He was planned to be used on line two but the Titans were the successful bidder to free agent Alexander Rodriguez who will round out the clubs top six forwards. The 3rd line doesn't translate well in most cases for offensive stats so having an opportunity on special teams could provide a boost for decent offensive output. Early expectation is 15 goals and 20-25 assists. The Titans fully expect to return to the off-season and perhaps finish as a top three team in the conference.

Reservations

Vaakanainen joins a Titans team with a lot to prove after a disappointing and overall inconsistent season. The 19 one goal losses can be analyzed in a couple ways, they stayed in most games but also could not get the job done in those situations. With Michael Johnson coming in and an overall stronger roster, they believe they can win on any given night of the season. Vaakanainen won't see spectacular offensive numbers in his rookie season, unless he impresses his coaches and management and is moved up in the lines. The transition to the VHL is a completely different experience. These are the best of the best and sometimes rookies are left in the shadows.

Career Aspirations

Vaakanainen has stated he aspires to follow in the footsteps of career Titan Julian Borwinn. Valtteri had a chance to watch Borwinn in several home games in Finland and is ecstatic to have the opportunity to play for his home team and be mentored by his hero. "Thursday I take the ice for the first game with my childhood team, The Helsinki Titans. I get emotional every time I think about it. This is the perfect example of a dream come true. I am sure the nerves will be apparent, after all I am only human. It would be incredible to notch a win in my first game and maybe even create a scoring chance or two."