The Origin of the White Mask

CALGARY - Jacques Lafontaine has been using his old white-turned-black mask for the whole season and it has seemed to serve him well. While we know the story of how his teammates ended up colouring his mask with Sharpies back in Saskatoon, we never really got to see why Jacques Lafontaine even chose to wear a plain white mask. He could've gotten a mask designer to design him a mask for the Saskatoon Wild like he did for the Calgary Wranglers (though he only really uses the Wranglers design mask for practices and for alternate jersey nights). Well, according to Jacques Lafontaine, it started a long time ago.

"Actually, it started when I first joined the L'Intrépide de Gatineau back in Midget AAA. I forgot to bring my own mask for my first start and the only mask they had was a white mask. Well, I ended up wearing that mask for the game and I was able to get my first win, 3-1. For a couple games, I actually did remember to bring a mask I got designed, but we ended up losing. So, I decided to get a new clean slate again and got a white mask that was custom fit for me. We won the championship and the rest is history."