Big Expectations in NY

:nya: The Americans Want a Title :nya:

Manhattan -- Last season can be considered a success for the New York Americans: After two seasons of missing the playoffs due to idiotic playoff rules finishing fifth in North America, the Americans broke through last year with the fourth-best record in the VHL, a first round upset of the Seattle Bears, and taking the Calgary Wranglers to seven games in the conference finals. It was an important step, especially for lifelong Americans like Lance Flowers, Owen Nolan and A Red Guy who hadn't advanced that far in their careers.

But this year, the general thought around training camp is that a repeat won't be enough. Especially with Julius Freeman retiring after the season, and rumors of an upcoming rebuild floating around camp, the prevailing wisdom is that it's now or never for this Americans squad.

"It's a tall order to expect a championship, with all the talent that's in this league. But if you don't put a little pressure on yourself, what's the point of being an athlete?" asked Flowers at the team's Media Day. "I really do think this is our season to go for it all, and I have no qualms about saying that."

The Americans traded away winger Soren Jensen in the offseason in a trade that netted them a future first plus Jerry Wang, and with his loss - plus depreciation for older players - there may be some questions whether New York is even as strong as they were last year. But a more restrictive salary cap affected all teams in the VHL as well, and taking a look at current rosters, Flowers for one thinks the team is well placed to make a run.

"I said when I got here that my goal above all else was a title in New York. That hasn't changed," Flowers said. "And if we do have one more run at this thing, I'm going to give it my all to accomplish what I came here to do."