Western Conference Deep Dive: Mexico City Kings

Mason

USATSI_12263884-1024x683.jpg

Western Conference Deep Dive: Mexico City Kings

Carrying on a season that I started last season but haven't looked at for some time, I'm going to be doing a deep dive on one of the teams in the Western Conference of the VHLM. Last season I primarily focused on writing about the teams at the top of the standings, but for the sake of variety this time around I'm going to be writing about a team that's a bit more middle of the pack; the Mexico City Kings. When I came into the league last season, the Kings were one of the teams that offered me a spot, and although i ultimately declined and went to join the Las Vegas Aces, I have followed the team and how they've done with some interest. Last season, the Kings lacked an identity and found themselves languishing at the bottom of the standings. This time around, things seemed to have picked up somewhat, and the Kings look to have a bit more substance around them. Let's take a look at the Kings and what it is that has lead them to some improved performances this season. 

Through the 55 games they've played so far this season, the Kings have managed to earn a 26-22-7 record. A marked improvement on the 16-51-5 record they posted last season, it's clear to see that the Kings are a much more competitive side this time around. Perhaps the biggest add to the team and the main contributor to their success has been RJ Thatcher. The S75 draftee currently has the most TPE on the team, and although he isn't their leading scorer at this point in time, his position as the second leading scorer on the team as a rookie speaks to the potential that he has. His 72 points in 55 games has been an invaluable contribution, and its likely a big reason why there's been such a notable improvement in the team. The team's leading scorer, Chris Foley has also given an incredibly important contribution, putting up 74 points on the season. The Kings simply didn't have this type of play to rely on last year, and the addition of this level of talent has really changed the fortunes of this franchise. 

The Western Conference as a whole this year seems to be a lot more competitive, and although the Kings are currently 5th in the conference, it's not unreasonable to think that the gap between them and 4th place is something that could be closed. The Kings will be hoping this season that they have the ability to make their way into the playoffs, but even if they don't they should still be primed to compete next season, particularly with the addition of some more talent in the next VHLM draft. There's been a definite change in fortunes for the Kings this season, and hopefully they'll be able to continue on the path that they've started this season. They've been incredibly promising, and I'm excited to see what it is they're able to do through the last 17 games of this year's season. 

(517 words)