The Final Countdown

CowboyinAmerica

Washington D.C. -- Dragons forward Lance Flowers is entering the final season of his career. For some, that fact would engender a lot of reflection, nostalgia, and more than a little bit of time spent setting after life after the ice. Surprisingly though, Flowers hasn't seemed too cuddly recently. Instead, he's perhaps more focused on his play on the ice than he has been in a while.

"I feel like a lot of people would be checking out at this portion of their career. But I feel really rejuvenated, honestly," Flowers said during the Dragons' recent training camp. "My career ain't over till it's over, and I'm not ready for it to be over."

Some may attribute that newfound focus to Flowers' recent switch to forward, which saw him having to focus more on offensive skills than any previous time in his career. But the eighth year player thinks it would have happened anyway, mostly because he doesn't yet have a title. This, of course, means this season is his last chance.

"You know, I was a defensive defenseman. We're not particularly big stats guys," Flowers added. "For me, it's all about getting those wins, and even though I've been a part of some fun teams in New York and here, I haven't been able to lift that trophy. There will be time to reflect and all that touchy feely stuff later. For now, I have a job to do."