Honourable Mentions

Victor

• Admin

There were no real question marks for me when creating the S40 HOF tournament rosters, given that most players involved were in the Hall of Famers. As for the four extra slots available, Mitch Higgins was a no-brainer, as was, in truth, Jakob Kjeldsen over Joey Clarence (plus that meant both Kendrick and Damien had a player involved).

Two players, however, missed out and you could make a strong case for their inclusion.

S18: Peyton Nydroj

Nydroj lost out to Mathias Chouinard based on personal preference more than anything really. Despite the fact I was Nydroj's linemate for a fair while and never played with Chouinard though he was Calgary property when I was there, I like the third-round steal story of Spangle's player and his achievements in so little time. Three cups, a playoff MVP, and an almost 2-point-per-game run to win the scoring title after a mid-season trade to Davos in S24. Nydroj never seemed as flashy and while a slow-burner himself, his only claim to fame was back-to-back top goal-scorer awards in Seasons 23 and 24. Not bad by any means, but one had to miss out and I like Chouinard's resume more.

S27: Elijah Incognito

In all honesty, there is a clear top four defence for the post-S18 era and Incognito is part of it. Like Clark Marcellin he has one Labatte Trophy, as well as an outrageous playoff MVP run in S33, but more importantly he actually spent his whole career as a defenceman, not just his last two seasons like Marcellin. Incognito also has a much better shot at actually making it into the Hall of Fame.

So what's the logic? Activity. As strange as it seems not to include a Dustin Funk player (though not surprising given the disappointment that was Olivier Scarlett), even if Incognito made it he wouldn't be here to appreciate it. Jason on the other hand also had a disappointing Scarlett contemporary in Lars Intranquilo and Marcellin was nonetheless in the top echelon of his generation.