Mid-season check in with Marauders rookie

Deee.Geee

image.png.c75d7fd4cb6f54b446c9f29e876105e1.png

image.thumb.png.d1e49aaaf7363dac70d8b2dcf135888f.png

With the VHLM season being just over half-way complete, we check in with Damien Salducci, rookie defenseman for the Miami Marauders, on how he feels his game has progressed, what Miami’s chance of being champs is this season, his favourite spots in Miami, and more.

It would be hard not to start this interview without mentioning the tear that the Marauders have been through over the last week or so. Miami has won most of its recent games, pulling it from the middle of the pack in the Eastern Conference to second place there and third place overall in the league. What do you think explains the team’s cohesion and success?

We saw how good we were in the first quarter of the season but for some reason the end of game scores just weren’t showing that. We were frustrated but there was 100% buy-in from everyone on the team that we just had to apply ourselves and keep seeing how the season would unroll.

Did you ever think that a trade was possible?

You never rule them out, right? GMs can get calls at any time with an offer they can’t refuse.

Ever worried about your own place on the team?

I am not sure I was or am good enough to trade bait [laughs].

It says something that the team flipped from a .500 position to third best team in the league without changing players. The chemistry was always there, it was just waiting for an extra push.

Yea and that’s why were so confident early on, even with our mediocre record. We saw what the team was like in practice, and what we can do during special teams. Sometimes it clicks during the season, and sometimes it just clicks, unfortunately, in future seasons. The mix of chemistry and luck in this game can make it hard to predict.

Sounds like you’re not lacking any hope about making the playoffs or winning the championship.

Well, we win nothing without persistence and drive. Sure we’re what, 50 or 60 percent through the season, but if we took our foot off the gas now we’ll be playing golf in a few weeks instead of contending in the playoffs. None of us are gazing too hard at the standings, proud of ourselves. I think we can be proud when we win it all!

The most important question today is do you think your first goal is around the corner?

[Laughs] Oh man I really don’t know! I’ve noticed that I am holding the stick a little tighter these days, I really don’t want that puck knocked off me I guess. That first goal will happen when it happens. I am trying not to overthink it but I’d by lying if I said it wasn’t on my mind.

Seven assists so far for a player that plays 10 minutes a game and playing 7th/8th defenseman minutes is not nothing.

Well that’s kind of you to say, thank you. Helps to play with Jocke Jockesson.

You mentioned your budding love for Cuban food in the last press conference. Can you share some of your favourite spots?

Um let’s see, there’s really been two places I’ve been going to back and forth to. Doce Provisions is the first place and Old Havana Cuban Bar & Cocina is the other. The wait staff are beginning to recognize me, which I guess is a plus!

Thanks for your time Damien, best of luck to you and the Marauders.

I appreciate that, have a good one.

(589 words, claiming for week ending April 18)