Mack Attack May

pugsood

The Sun Gazette has garnered a commitment from hometown product Alvin Mack to give  exclusive  monthly interview to our lead football and hockey writers. Hockey writer Melanie Peters interviewed Mack in the lobby of the Houston St. Regis, a day after Mack made waves in the SBA signing a 3-year contract with the powerhouse Ravens.

Peters: Safe to say no one saw your free agent signing with Houston coming. What happened?
Mack: I had no intention of leaving Boston. I really enjoyed my time there and saw myself as a foundational piece with the Minutemen. But my GM encouraged me to have some conversations, and I really felt comfortable talking to Houston's GM. 

Peters: Does this mean hockey is officially over?
Mack: Nope. I don't see why I have to give it up yet; and the GMs who have reached out in the VHL have told me that if I play around 10 years in the SBA, they'd love my next 10 years to be in the VHL. So never say never. I will say that I have no idea if I'd pursue an opportunity in hockey or football after basketball. But I'm confident that when I hang up my sneakers and put on skates or cleats, I'll be ready for that transition.

Peters: Were there any other teams you considered going to?
Mack: Every team, save for one or two who reached out, I seriously considered. The only situation I was fairly certain to try and avoid was one where it looked like a total rebuild. And I was really interested in coming back to Boston. But ultimately this was the decision I felt most comfortable with, even if it means trying to live up to insanely high expectations.

Peters: Have you already spoken with local hockey franchises as of yet?
Mack: I haven't as of yet. When you interviewed me last month, I mentioned trying to let GMs in the VHL know that I wasn't ready to have conversations about my future in football at this moment. Thus far, the GMs have really honored that and I'm grateful to them for that.

Peters: Do you have other teammates who are making similar decisions as you?

Mack: I don't want to spoil anyone's news but let's just say there are some families from my hometown that I think are deriving inspiration from a local kid making good. I try to spend as much time locally during the season and offseason working out with the kids at the local schools and I think there will be some incredible talent coming through the pro ranks sooner than later.