Player Spotlight: Raihan Heavems

After 22 games in his third vhlm season, Raihan Heavems has looked to be a good contributor on a good team. The HC Davos Dynamo prospect is over a point per game average and seems poised to be at least a 35 goal scorer this season. However he is nowhere near the top contributor on a powerhouse Minnesota team. With a graduation to the VHL coming next season, it will take some time for an offensive minded player like him to adjust. He knows he likely won’t end up as an all time legend in the VHL but he recognizes that he has talent and so did davos when they picked him 44th overall in the S77 draft. He went into this Vhlm season feeling like he had something to prove to davos. He needed to prove that he will be a solid player at worst in the VHL. While he has definitely proved that he will be a contributor in the VHL come next season, I still have my doubts about how much he can truly do for a team in the long term. For one, it took him three seasons to develop in the vhlm, so his peak will not last too long, also his defense is not the best. My overall projection for his peak point total in the VHL will be somewhere between 45-50. Not bad you might say, and I would have to agree however I see him becoming a 3rd line winger. So then at this point you may be wondering, why am I writing a full media spot on a future role player? Well for one, he’s my player. Also, he’s got the potential to become one of the most criminally underrated players in the league. I’ll end up looking back on this in a few seasons and wonder if I was right. There’s a chance I’m completely wrong, one way or another. He could completely flop and not have any good production in the VHL or he could become a star. That’s the thing with these mid round picks. If we go back to the top of this article you will notice that I said that his Minnesota storm team was a powerhouse. After a half season with the lynx, he has found the best spot for him to develop in Minnesota. There’s no pressure on him which concerns me as he has limited playoff experience. However if his storm can keep this up, he should have a deep playoff run under his belt before graduating.

In conclusion, he’s a boom or bust player. If I’m being honest I’m leaning towards bust however you never know. He will be one to watch that is for sure. With the fact that Davos is an up and coming team, there’s a chance he is put into a larger role which could stunt his development. There’s a certain role that he will fit in. That’s where he will excel. The question is, can Davos find that right role for him? Can anyone find the right role for him? Only time will tell.