Powers’s Revamped Game

JB123

image.jpeg.8054b6177f25d086d157c3b2dfd62afd.jpeg

Since Nathan Powers entered the VHLM a season ago, he has made an impression as a physical, two-way defenseman for the Yukon Rush. 

Not anymore. Well, somewhat. 

Powers has said he is working to improve his game, and rework some things, including how much physicality he brings.

“I’ve been taking too many penalties. A hit can be good in certain situations for sure, but I need to focus a bit more on other aspects of the game.” 

Powers has led the Rush in hits the past two seasons, as well as time in the box. 

“I need to be better. Plain and simple. This team is too good for me to take dumb penalties.” 

As for what he looks to focus more on now, he said, “Right now I’m looking to give more attention to playing offense and defense. I’m still going to hit, but to shut opponents down rather than take penalties. I think both in the short term and long run this will pay off.” 

Powers is currently fifth in points on the 1st-place Rush with 60 (13 goals, 47 assists) through 45 games. He was drafted ninth overall by the Prague Phantoms last season. 

Word Count: 197