The VHLE: Pros and Cons

Telkster

Intro

While this wasn’t the VHL expansion that many of us were expecting/hoping for, I think the VHLE really helps even some playing fields. I’ll break this into 3 sections. The first one is about why the VHL wasn’t quite ready for expansion. The second will be player pros and cons, and finally the third will be about team pros and cons. 

No “Real” Expansion?

The short and easy answer to this is no, but there’s many good reasons to why the VHL wasn’t quite ready IMO. The VHL may have a lot of players, but I think another expansion would have caused the higher end players especially to be stretched very thin. It would create many meme rebuilding rosters that would have a ton of borderline VHL players just to get a full team together. I think this would have given players chances too easily, rather then players earning those chances on their own. Everyone knew that something was needed, and I also think many of us knew there were bucketloads of players in the TPE range of 300-400 ish. So the VHLE was born, and I think it was a great idea.

Player Pros and Cons

For players, it gives them more options for what path, team, and career they will choose. Once players hit the 350 tpe mark, they will have the option of going to the VHL, or staying down at the VHLE. As I stated before, there’s a ton of those lower tpe players that are just right on the cusp between the M and the big league, so this middle league will create a whole new atmosphere. It will add another step of growth for many middle of the pack prospects, and possibly get them more interested in the league too. If you are a middling or lower end prospect, and you wanted to get to the VHL sooner rather then later, then your gonna need to put a bit more work in if you want to get there. But that’s about the only negative I can think of, and it’s a tiny negative as well.

Team Pros and Cons

For teams and GM’s, the VHLE will give more opportunities to run team. Furthermore, it will help teams distinguish prospects into 3 different tiers. Obviously every player will still have their first season in the VHLM regardless. But it’s after this first season that will really help GM’s narrow the scope down on their prospects. Players that make the jump right from the M to the VHL I would consider to be A level prospects. Players that go to the VHLE after one season in the M would be B level prospects, and players that stay in the M for a second season would be C level prospects. Of course this isn’t official or anything, but it’s just the way my brain picks it apart, and I think people with similar thinking would agree with me. At the end of the day, it really helps GM’s see another divider, and can evaluate their prospect pools more in depth. A negative for VHL teams would be that they may have to wait an extra season before they get those B level prospects. I think this third league is a great idea, and will create another level up of competition, and will hopefully result in more players graduating to the VHL in the long run.

• 7 months later...

I was reading old article and bump into this. That’s exactly what the E is doing right now, do you have a magic globe or something and you saw the future. For someone who has played in the E some players want to have a big impact on their team and that’s why they want to stay in the E. I like how you separate the prospect into tier and it’s really like that like we saw in the last couple of draft they are really few players that make the jump into the big league after 1 complete year in the M and that realistic. Overall it’s a well tough article and really well done 9/10