An interview with Joe Madison before Game seven

samx

Joe Madisons interview before game 7 against Seattle.

Interviewer: Hey James, thank you for sitting down with me today before your big game tonight. How are you feeling going into game 7 tonight?

Madison: I'm nervous but excited. I think we have a good chance of winning and moving on. There's a lot of excitement because it's my first VHL playoff series and now it's going to game seven. I'm also scared though. I don't want to be the one to make the mistake that costs us the game.

Interviewer: What do you think your team needs to do to close out this series?

Madison: We need to stick to our game and enforce how we want to play onto the other team. A strong offense starts with a strong defense. So we need to make sure we are staying solid defensively before we worry about scoring. If we all step up and play the best we can we will be in great shape.

Interviewer: Does it affect your team at all knowing you've had multiple chances to close the series and haven't been able to?

Madison: We try not to think about it. We have to take it one game at a time. The game before this one is done we can't dwell on the fact that we didn't win. It's now a best of one series and that's how we have to look at it.

Interviewer: Who needs to step up big for Calgary to be able to win tonight?

Madison: Everyone does. If one person lacks behind that puts us a disadvantage. We have to leave it all on the ice. If anyone comes off thinking they could have done better than we didn't do as well as we could have. It's important to get contributions from everyone. That doesn't just mean on the scoreboard but also things that don't show up on the scoreboard like good positioning, blocking shots, intercepting passes etc. It what's you do when you don't have the puck that makes the biggest difference.

interviewer: Is there any difference in the game plan because the past fails to close out the series?

Madison: No not really. I don't think we have played our best in the games that we have lost. We didn't stick to the plan. If we actually did stick to the plan like we did in our wins we will be perfectly okay.

Interviewer: Does it concern you that you aren't getting a lot of points?

Madison: No. I'm a rookie so I'm not expecting to do super well in that way. If I'm not putting up points I just have to make sure I am staying strong defensively and helping out that way. There are other ways to contribute than just scoring.

Interviewer: How do you plan to celebrate if you won tonight?

Madison: I'll let you know if we win the game tonight. Can't plan the celebration before the win.

Interviewer: Well then, Thank you for sitting down with me before your big game. I wish you all the best tonight.

Madison: Thank you.

Word count: 516

Review Grade: 9/10

Straightforward Q&A, but I think it worked well. Particularly before a big game like the Calgary/Seattle Game 7, I could definitely see this being a quick conversation on the ice between a player and a TV sideline person. It even had the normal player platitudes in there ("stick to our game", "one game at a time") that you see all the time in player interviews, which I think makes it fun. I really appreciate the bolding of Interviewer/Madison which makes the article easier to read, though I wouldn't have minded a picture or headline to spruce up the presentation a bit as well. My only other nitpick was just some minor run-on sentences in some of the answers (i.e. "The game before this one is done we can't dwell on the fact that we didn't win."), but that's not a big deal. All in all a solid article here, great job!

Review:

Great job getting a storyline going into that game 7 with your player. The questions asked were very realistic and with concise answers. It's unfortunate reading this after the game 7 loss to Seattle. The only suggestion I have is instead of spacing each question and answer, putting the Q & A together and then put a line break in between. That's just my personal opinion, but this is great also. Great job! Can't wait to read more from you!

9.5 / 10!

PS: Congrats on the Halifax GM Position!