Booberry in Team USA's Sights?

:usa:

In Weaker Talent Pool, Booberry Has a WJC Shot

Minnesota -- Given the talent in the U.S. juniors pool, recent VHLM call-up Xavier Booberry wasn’t paying much attention to this season’s World Juniors Championship, figuring he wouldn’t have a shot. When taking a look at Team USA’s roster though, there’s a massive opening at goaltender. Moscow’s Andrew Bowman is just over the practice hours limit; free agent Michael Fletcher is one season too old; Riga’s Matthew A Sovick Jr. is both one season too old and just over the limit.

Instead, Team USA’s only eligible goalies are some young guns: upcoming draftees Orion D H Chiester IX and Elijah Mikaelson, and perhaps even Booberry himself. Booberry’s practice pace is already past Mikaelson and is just behind Chiester, so would the team trust such an important position to a player with exactly one VHLM game under his belt?

“I know I don’t have the experience, but I do think I have the skill,” Booberry told reporters while working out in his native Minnesota. “I wasn’t expecting to get the call, and if it doesn’t come, I know I’ll have more opportunities. But let’s just say that if there’s any Team USA representatives listening, I’d be more than happy to drop everything and represent the stars and stripes. My phone’s on me.”