Henri's Rookie Struggles

Garsh

Los Angeles Stars winger Henri le Massif has not had an amazing start to his VHL career.  With 2 games left in the season he is sitting at 15G and 18A for a total of 33 points.  Barring some kind of miracle performance, he will end his rookie season under 40 points.  When speaking  with him during preseason, Henri had made it clear that anything less than 40 points would be a disappointment.  We caught up with le Massif and asked him to reflect on his rookie season.

It’s been tough, much tougher than I thought it would be.  I’m always surprised how each league I come into is such a big step up to the previous one.  In the French minors I dominated almost exclusively based on my size.  Now all the way up in the VHL my size means little.  I’m still one of the biggest guys out there, but it doesn’t mean as much anymore.

I’m frustrated with myself for not getting to 40 points.  I don’t know if I was too confident in myself coming in and setting myself up for failure, or if I just have that much more development to try to do.  But I can’t dwell on it, we are playoff bound and I can’t come into playoffs sulking.  On a positive note, I have been a positive physical presence on the ice.  I’m sitting just outside the top 10 in the league.  Additionally even though I’m physical I’m not spending as much time in the box as other physical players are.  Hopefully that is a trend that continues.

266 words