Nathan Powers Rookie Experience

JB123

Nathan_Power_1.1.png

Photo Credit: Domg5

Nathan Powers Rookie Experience

Prague Phantoms :prg:

It was time for Prague prospect Nathan Powers to make the jump to the big league. After two seasons with the Yukon Rush, he was ready. After winning the Founder's Cup, expectations were somewhat high. Would he live up to those expectations? Or would he look like a complete bust whose talent failed to translate? 

Powers was originally drafted to the Yukon Rush in the 5th round (57th overall) of the Season 77 VHLM Dispersal Draft. At one point the only defender on the roster, he would have 62 points (9 goals, 53 assists) in Season One. Yukon missed the playoffs but would load up for a deep playoff run the following season, adding names like Tyler Reinhart, Papa Emeritus, Otto Numminen and Bob Beach through the draft, trading for Tynan Sylvester from the Mississauga Hounds, signing key waiver wire players Jerome Reinhart, Erlantz Jokinen, Sven Eightnine and Tony Adams, and bringing back free agent Gaspar Zakrevsky. 

In 72 games during the regular season, Powers put up 108 points (21 goals, 87 assists). He added 21 points (6 goals, 15 assists) in 17 playoff games en route to a Founder's Cup championship. 

So while expectations may have been high, Powers only focused on doing his best day in and day out. He would score his first goal in the VHL against the Warsaw Predators, assisted by Rocket and Robert Bouchard at 16:35 of the first period. Prague would win 5-4 in overtime at home in what was their fifth game of Season 79. 

Reservations that Powers had for himself were letting people down by not playing well. "I just tried to play to the best of my ability, keep improving every day. Personally I had a goal of reaching 40 points, which ultimately I came a little short of. But my main goal was making an impact for the Phantoms, hopefully being part of a deep run. While we lost in the Wild Card to Davos, this season was not a complete failure, as now I have more experience and am ready for a larger role." 

As for next season, Powers has some personal goals in mind. "50 points would be great. I've always been a defense-first guy, so that's very important to me. But I strive to be a two-way player that my team can rely on in all situations. 

Season 80 for Prague will be interesting. After losing key defenders General Zod, Fat Palloon and Riley Knight Gee to retirement, Prague will have to find a way to replace them. Prospect defender Ben Aky will either come straight to Prague or go to the VHLE first. Up front, prospects Baby Bob, Numminen and John Baard could make the jump this season. What is for certain, younger players, including Powers, will have to take on more responsibility as changes have come and will keep coming in Prague. 

Word Count: 488

Edited by JB123