The Tall Tale of George Sanderson

SpicyGecko

The Tall Tale of George Sanderson

Written by: James P. Sullivan     

Published by: Prague Morning 

September 25th 2021

The year is 2001... in the small town of Kutna Hora, Czechia, a mother is giving birth. The screams can be heard throughout the town as people try to go about their day. One piercing scream makes a boy drop a pale of cow milk on the ground and a blacksmith strike his finger with his mallet. Inside the small brick house of the Sanderson's, a father is waiting in anticipation for the birth of his child. The screaming stops but there is no crying. The father bursts into the room and sees his wife panting on the floor. The midwife is holding a big lifeless baby. The father grabs the baby out of pure instinct and gives it a big slap across the face. The baby comes to life and starts to breathe. The father looks at the baby, "remember that orange monster from Monster's Inc. that had the sock on his back?" he said to his wife. "Yes, I think his name was George" she replied. "That is what we shall name our son. George. George Sanderson," said the father with a big grin on his face (The father happened to be a Canadian immigrant who pirated American movies onto his home computer) Outside, the clouds part and the sun shines down on the Sanderson house, all was good in the world.

Dog Owner Adds Puppy to Lion King Intro Replaces Simba Video | PEOPLE.com

Growing up in the small town was tough for George. He worked from dawn till dusk milking cows, hauling oats and baking with grandma. Whenever he had spare time he would go outside and play a game that the local boys taught him called hockey. In the winter they would go to the closest pond, strap blades to their shoes and play hockey on the ice, the kids said that's how the professionals played it. George was skeptical of the whole ice hockey concept but went with it anyway. One day in the winter when the kids were playing hockey, George was playing defense for his team. The game was tied 24-24, next goal wins. A player from the opposing team had the frozen turd puck and was winding up for a slapshot. George dove as the foe released the shot, the puck whipped through the air like a frisbee hitting George right in the face. Teeth and blood on the ice, nose broken, down but not out. George gets up, dangles around 3 opponents breaking their ankles, he passes the puck to his teammate who snipes it home to win the game. It was at that moment that George fell in love with the sport and decided that this is what he wants to do for the rest of his life. 

For his 14th day of birth, George's father took him to Prague to watch HC Sparta Praha play. George intensely watched the game studying all the moves, shots, and defensive maneuvers performed by the players. George joined a house hockey league in Prague soon after watching the HC Sparta Praha game. All his practice in his hometown paid off as he was quickly a star player on his team in the Krajská Soutěž league playing for HC Piraňa Příšery. His coach saw potential in him and encouraged him to move up into more competitive leagues. George played in three different leagues, crushing the opponent each time with his strength, size, and level of competitiveness. After 3 years of hard work in lower level leagues, George finally ended up in the Czech Extraliga, the top league in Czechia playing for his dream team, HC Sparta Praha. His entire hometown came to his first game to watch him play against their rivals, HC Kometa Brno.

Kdo na koho narazí v play off? A kdy? Spartu čeká bitva s Kometou! |  Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

It was a hard fought battle but HC Sparta Praha came out on top with a 5-3 victory. Sanderson finished the game with 1 assist, 7 hits, 3 shots, 5 pims, 10 takeaways, 3 giveaways, 5 shots blocked and won 1/1 fights. The crowd went wild and there was a huge celebration in Kutna Hora afterwards. George had his eyes set on the VHL, the top of the top hockey leagues. In order to get there he had to first get into the VHLM. George had a tough road ahead of him but his commitment and mental strength would help him rise to the top. He fought hard in the Extraliga trying to make a name for himself and punch a ticket to the VHLM. HC Sparta Praha finished 4th overall in the regular season. Sanderson finished the season with 15 goals and 20 assists for 35 points in 50 games, 150 shots, 55 pims, 85 takeaways, 40 giveaways, 45 blocked shots and won 6/9 fights.

The end of the Extraliga season didn't quite line up perfectly with the VHL or VHLM season as the draft took place right before George could make his entrance into the league. George's agent, Mike Wazowski encouraged him to spend another year in Europe but George refused as he had one goal, and that was to play in the VHLM that season. George entered the VHLM as a waiver eligible player and immediately had teams asking if he would like to sign with them. Agent Mike Wazowski was fielding offers all day from the Mississauga Hounds, Mexico City Kings, Philadelphia Reapers, Ottawa Lynx, Halifax 21st, and San Diego Marlins. After much debate and research into the teams, George and his agent decided Philadelphia would be the best fit for him. First pairing minutes, a team with lots of room for growth and development, and a sweet name and logo. On September 23rd George Sanderson signed a 1 year deal worth a reported 1.5 million dollars with the Philadelphia Reapers. George moved to Philadelphia and is currently living there with his parents. 

In his first 7 games with the Philadelphia Reapers, George has failed to impress posting 1 assist and having a plus/minus of minus 8. He has put up 8 shots, 22 hits, and 5 shots blocked with 12 penalty minutes. He is playing on the first pairing alongside Cadmael Ixazaluoh and averaging 26 minutes a game. The Philadelphia Reapers are 1-6 in their first 7 games. They played their next 2 games against the Mississauga Hounds and Halifax 21st. The first game saw Philadelphia winning against Mississauga in a shootout 6 to 5 with Sanderson getting 1 assist. Their second game of the evening saw Philadelphia lose 5-3 blowing a 3-1 lead with Sanderson not getting any points. When asked what he thought of his performance and his team's performance 7 games into the season at a press conference earlier today, George had this to say:

"First of all, I am just happy to be here in the VHLM. It has been my dream to get into the VHL and I have achieved the first step in that process. Coming to America from the Czech Republic was quite the change, not just for me but for my family as well. I had to leave my hometown of Kutna Hora which was hard since I have my childhood friends there and some family still. I thank the City of Philadelphia and the team for their heartwarming welcome and their continuing support. Adapting to the VHLM is it's own challenge. Playing amongst players that have a similar skill set or even ones that are much better than me is tough but I am working hard to improve and adapt to the style of play here. I don't feel right critiquing how the team is doing seeing how I am brand new and feel that I am part of the problem but I know we will bounce back and hold our own against some of these stronger teams. I am hoping management is able to sign a goalie and some more players because the so-called "AI" they put in suck and just get bashed to pieces with pucks. Once again I thank the team for the opportunity to play in the VHLM and appreciate their patience as I adapt and work hard to improve my skill."

Hopefully George can turn his game around and show us the skill and talent we saw in the Extraliga. He has a lot of potential to become a star defensemen in the VHLM and eventually the VHL. We will be keeping a close eye on him as he makes his way through the VHLM. His family and friends are cheering him on from Kunta Hora and Prague. Prague's pride and joy is in the big leagues and everyone is watching. 

Last Updated: September 25th 2021, 1:00PM MST

About the Author: James P. Sullivan is a highly respected Czech author who mainly covers hockey. He has been writing for Prague Morning for 8 years and enjoys watching young men develop into star hockey players. No one knows what he really looks like, the only pictures of him that exist are in a Halloween costume pictured here. 

czwDqUTivVl85ogzAfE2RDmh8lKKjjQjKBz7lsbBpuz6ZDDjErbojxU5ElpbmKcJMK-Adlix2GQkK8NXKb0PnC-4a0vpNVldutk_UdMSA5SxBXZkzGrH2Dujdde_qGIfSq0mBFtC=s0 

Words: 1507

Claiming weeks ending: Sept. 25th, Oct. 2nd, Oct. 9th

Edited by spicy_gecko
various grammar changes and added today's games.

Very nice piece of writing. I’m really liking your utilization of description and inclusion of a byline. It makes your  story come to life, and look more professional. Well done! 

9/10