Life is an interesting journey. You never know where it will take you

jRuutu

blogger-image--1480000469.jpg

A wise man once said that the twists and turns as you navigate through a valley and around peaks can lead you to a surprise of a lifetime.  While you are traveling towards the top, the time spent getting there might feel like the worst time of your life, but according to the wise man, the adversity makes you realize that whatever doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. As you try to get to the top, you might do anything to get there. The wise man openly questions such actions. Once you are at the top, how do you get your life back?

I still remember when I first heard the wise man speak. I was a young man. I was not anywhere near playing in VHL. I was not even sure if I would play hockey professionally. The words from the wise man did not fully register at the time, and how could they? I was just a young man, I had barely even started my journey. I did not see any valleys or peaks.

It was only years later that the words from the wise man started to make sense. I had to make turns and twists, which were not easy turns and twists to make. At times I felt lost. More than once, I wondered whether making it to the top would be worth all those turns and twists.

I tried to keep in mind the wise man and his wisdom. Those tough times would not last forever. Even if it might not feel like it now, those tough times would make me a better person. At the time, it's almost impossible to believe in that or even think such thoughts, but that is why I'm grateful that I had access to such wisdom. Whenever I felt down, I could just listen to the wise man or read his quotes.

Just like the wise man predicted, I was willing to do whatever it takes to reach the top. Once I started to see the top, I was not going to stop. Not after making all those turns and twists. I was so close. Who in their right mind will stop right before the finishing line? Nobody. I was not going to do that, and I did not do that.

Now I'm at the top. Mysteriously, I'm once again lost. Just like the wise man once predicted, I'm wondering how do I get my life back? Yea it's great to be at the top, but at what cost?  Also, do you know what is interesting? The journey down from the top is straight down. You don't have to make turns or twists, but the road down is steep. Steeper than any hill or mountain you have ever seen.

I don't listen to the wise man as often these days. I feel bad saying this, but the wise man doesn't have much to offer anymore. His words don't bring comfort the same way they used to. Who do I listen to then? Nobody. That is the price you have to pay when you are at the top. You have nobody to listen to.