Lindbergh's Crash Course In English Paying Off

Doomsday

Lindbergh’s Crash Course In English Paying OffSamuel-Ersson.jpg

VASTERAS - When Oskar Lindbergh made the jump to the Victory Hockey League Europe, big things were expected of him… big things that have not materialized as of yet. With a save percentage of .887% and allowing a staggering 5.01 goals per game, it suddenly seemed as if the competition had just gotten too big, too quickly for the Swedish goaltender, especially shocking happening on a home club in Sweden. It almost seemed as if Oskar’s focus was elsewhere, and as it turns out, it was. Lindbergh was working on perfecting the English language, having been drafted to a VHL team in North America, the Toronto Legion. 

“My English was okay, but that’s it. Just okay,” said Lindbergh, speaking to the media following a practice session with the Vasteras Iron Eagles. “I knew I would be able to communicate here in Vasteras, but I wanted to be ready for North America. I felt I had a difficult time with the language barrier in Yukon, and I do not want that to happen in Toronto.”

Going in further detail, Lindbergh revealed that he has been receiving private tutoring in English nearly every day, whether in person or using technology such as Zoom. He even turned to an app, DuoLingo, to dive even further into his rapid education of his new language.

“DuoLingo, you guys need to be careful with that,” Lindbergh laughed. “I forgot my phone charger in the locker room one day, couldn’t go onto it and do a lesson. I charged my phone the next day, this app is threatening to freeze my assets unless I complete two lessons. It’s no joke, very scary. Don’t mess with it!”

While Lindbergh’s grasp of the English language has dramatically improved, his play in the VHLE has not. He’s firmly entrenched behind Xavier Booberry, another top goaltender in his draft class, as the backup in Vasteras. With his aforementioned play, it’s very easy to justify that standing. However, seemingly satisfied with his progress learning English, it appears that Lindbergh is finally back to getting his playing career on track.