Mack Attack November

pugsood

The Sun Gazzette continues its monthly coverage and update of Northern Virginia native and current SBA basketball player Alvin Mack, as he continues to be eligible in the VHL, despite not having entertained any overtures by the league and its general managers to date. Our beat reporter Jordan Smith caught up with Mack on November 2nd at the JW Marriott in Toronto on the eve of the Atlanta Vipers' matchup against the Toronto Thunderbirds.

Smith: Same question, different month - any plans on pursuing hockey?

Mack: I've decided that I'm not going to pursue a career in the VHL. I thought about having a second career in the VHL after finishing out my time in the SBA, but after reflecting with my family, friends, and doing some praying on it, I think it's in my best interest to just hang up my sneakers after this basketball season and not pick up ice skates.

Smith: What's the experience in Atlanta been like thus far, and did that have anything to do with the decision you just shared with us?

Mack: Atlanta's been great thus far. I think we've underperformed relative to our own high expectations but it's still early in the season and we have a lot to look forward to and a lot to learn about each other as we try to win a championship. My experience has been great, but to be clear, it hasn't influenced my decision about hockey. I just know that my heart wouldn't be into hockey, starting at the beginning, going on what would be my 10th professional season in any sport. It just wouldn't feel right and thus wouldn't be right to myself or any team who I joined.

Smith: We know that you've been a mentor of sorts to Steve Lattimer, a basketball player currently on the Tucson Hyenas of the SBDL. Has he asked you for any advice on pursuing other sports and if so, what advice have you given him, as we know he's been recruited by the VHL.

Mack: Steve and I talk all the time, what a great young man he is. I'm so grateful that our paths crossed and however he needs or asks of me to help him, I'm going to be there for him. To answer your question, yes he's asked me about my own decisions pertaining to hockey and whether it'd be a good fit for him or not. I've not persuaded him in any particular direction. I've told him that he's got a gut, he needs to use it to make that decision for himself. But I also told him something I was told at his age. Go be great. And if playing multiple sports inhibits your ability to be great, then that's probably something you should consider in your decision.

Smith: We know today is a big day in your native state, Virginia, with the gubernatorial election. You keep your primary home in Virginia and thus have voting rights; are you going to vote and what are your thoughts on the election?

Mack: This might be the first time I've ever decided to vote. In my adult life I've never been particularly inspired by a candidate enough to want to vote for him or her, with perhaps one exception. I feel a little differently about this election, not necessarily because of feeling inspired, but learning more about what these candidates stand for and how that aligns or misaligns with my personal thoughts, feelings, and values. I'm not going to share who I voted for, but I will confirm that indeed I did vote, and I'll be tuning into Twitter and my friends' text threads and the like to see how everything unfolds. But first, I have a job and a passion to perform - going out there and having a hell of a day playing basketball.