Lindbergh Named Honorary Captain of Team Europe

Doomsday

Lindbergh Named Honorary Captain of Team Europe

MV5BM2FmYWUyYTMtMjI2ZC00M2RlLThiOWQtNGEw

VASTERAS - Leading up to the World Junior Championship, keen observers of Team Europe’s practices noticed that the team’s leadership group had been decided upon. Nico Pearce and Sven Eightnine were sporting A’s on their sweaters as alternate captains, with Zdeno Chara wearing the C as the captain of Team Europe. But, curiously, goaltender Oskar Lindbergh was seen to have a C on his mask as well, leading to considerable confusion about the leadership of the team.

“Well, [Team Europe General Manager] Leblanc approached me and told me that the team wanted to name me the unofficial captain,” explained Lindbergh following a team practice. “However, since goalies aren’t technically allowed to wear letters, we took a page from the great Roberto Luongo, and put a C on my mask instead. I was incredibly honored that I was the one that they wanted to serve as captain, and I thought it was very appropriate to do so with a tribute to Luongo as well.”

Team Europe is slated to begin their round robin play in the WJC tonight against Team USA, as the tournament officially begins tonight!

Jethro Novacek is an award-winning writer for the MSFL Times, fine purveyors of simulation sports content. He enjoys being paid to watch Formula 1, laughing at pitiful displays of prosecution, and jamming out to Bob Seger.