Decision Time: Where does Mikhail go?

Banackock

happy ice hockey GIF by NHL

The spotlight is on Mikhail Kovalchuk right now to see where the Russian nuke of hockey offense goes in the VHLM as a free agent. Just yesterday, Mikhail finalized the paperwork with the VHLM commissioning team at league headquarters and officially became eligible to sign with a minor league organization. As we've bellowed for close to 24 hours, he's the son of VHL Seattle Bears legend and VHL Hall of Famer, Maxim Kovalchuk. The name has been a strong one in the victory Hockey League, being held as one of the top d-men in the VHL 60's era's. Now, 12 or so seasons are pops retires and hangs up the skates, his son Mikhail Kovalchuk is on the scene causing a commotion as the teams and his potential fellow teammates wait to see where he decides to buy his plane ticket to. We were fortunate enough to be able to sit down with Mikhail quickly, with our masks up and on, to discuss what he's looking for in a team and when he thinks he'll sign by! Sit tight VHLM, GM's. Hopefully this answers some of your questions and gives you a good idea on how to land the Russian Nuke.

When do you think you're going to make a decision?

I'd like to make a decision as soon as possible. One of the reasons we've waited this long was to give everyone a fair chance in having the opportunity to present a case, their team and their own pitches. I made a minor announcement today and it was made known to me that some teams didn't even know that I was now available to be signed. Once that happened, we received a few more offers and now the choice becomes a little more difficult. Ideally, by the end of today. I don't even know if that's ideal. I don't want to miss a game. I want every chance to get points, wins and tally them both up to great things.

What are you looking for in a team?

Well, everyone wants a chance to win but this isn't a 100% thing for me. I'm fine with coming on to help a team. I and my agency have always been an underdog type of crew. I don't want to go to the best team so we can absolutely slaughter everyone else. I want to go somewhere that either has a chance to win and I can make that potential rise while also maybe spoiling it for the favorites to win, or go somewhere where I can help some players develop along with myself. First lines minutes aren't a must, but we need to use some brain cells here. I want to do well. I'm fine mixing things up for wins and chemistry, but If I'm 143 TPE and we're playing a guy with 67 TPE above me for the sake of "he's newer so it's more important", you can almost immediately cross yourself off. I will put in the work, asI have to quickly climb here, to earn my spots. They should too and I will help them along the way. That's mostly it for now.

Are you able to tell us who the front runners are?

I'm not very good at doing this. My heart is being pulled in every direction. I don't want anyone to feel like they were my second choice, I didn't like them or it was something personal. This kind of shit is... shit. At first, I was into almost every team but was being pulled a few ways. I was being pulled closer to Mexico for loyalty reasons. Their pitch was also very well done and laid out. Saskatchewan has a decent roster. They "welcomed me to the league" which I found to be amusing. I've been a GM longer than they've been in the league, lol. Like I said, it's so damn hard to say anything right now because I don't want to upset anybody and I'm pretty afraid of doing so and making "the wrong choice". I'm going to give it a few hours here.. I'm really going to look at the rosters and who is on the team.. think about what I want my goals to be this season... I want to have an electric career... I have to beat out Maxim  Kovalchuk so that is going to play into things also.. We will see what happens but any and everyone can reach out to let me know their thoughts. I'm very excited.

Alright. Lastly and maybe just for fun, predict how you're going to do this season. Maybe that will help get some more eyes on you.

I've really prided myself on being an offensive minded guy who can do a little bit of everything. My build I'm working on has me as offensively minded first, but my DF is going to be higher than a forwards mostly so I'll be able to attack them with no problem. Again, offensive side of my game might be a little higher temporarily right now, but things will balance themselves out as we move forward. I want to put up massive points for my team so I can help them win and I'm hoping I can prevent more than I score, but score enough that maybe if my D game isn't as strong as others right now, it makes up for it. At the end of the day, both are at acceptable levels to get the job done. As for my predictions on how I will do, 72 games, right? Been awhile.. I think in those games.. let's say I crack 20 goals and go with 23 goals, 55 assists for 78 points in 72 games. Could be lower, could be higher. Let's see what I can do!

Well, there you have it, folks. The timer has started and the man says he's going to sign by the end of the day. He's provided the managers with some healthy information that should answer some questions that they have and give them an idea if they're interested in him and if they're able to provide the appropriate stuff to land him. Mikhail has some pretty big challenges ahead of himself and the first is going to be finding a home to play for the season. We look forward to his decision. GOOD BYE.

1,059 words

Nov 22-28

Nov 29-Dec 5