Rough start for promising rookie.

Scurvy

Thanksgiving week was not so kind to promising rookie, number 9, Brian Payne.  The hulking, left-handed, 6 feet 2 inch and 225 pound defensive shows glimpses of talent only to be followed up by undisciplined play, costing the San Diego Marlins greatly.  Over the first four games of the season, he has zero goals, zero assists, is a disappointing minus 1, and ten minutes in the sin bin. The positives are Payne is not afraid to throw his weight around and has ten bone crushing hits along with six blocked shots.  

San Diego General Manager, JB123 told us, “Payne has a huge upside.  He brings a tough physical presence on the blue line and his work ethic is relentless.  We know as the season progresses and his gets more minutes on the ice you will see his game improve to a high level.” 

In a post-game interview with Marlin’s goalie, Bubbles Utonium he spoke high praises for the rookie defensemen.  “I love having him out there,” said the star netminder.  “He clears then net, hits anything that moves, and plays hard in the dirty areas. He’s the last one off the ice in practice and he is the ultimate team player.  I am excited to see what type of player he grows into.”  

Finally, we spoke with assistant captain and defensive leader, Tavish DeGroot.  DeGroot also spoke highly of the rookie.  “He plays a hard game for sure and wants to win badly.  This slow start to the season has us all frustrated so that might be why Payne is off to as slow start.  Maybe he’s trying too hard to make plays when he should just let his game come naturally.  We’re playing ok right now but not where we want to be as a team right now but that’s what we are, a team. We will weather this slide and get back to playing Marlin hockey.” 

The Marlins are an early season favorite to contend this year and with some new additions to the line up it will certainly take some time for newer players like Brian Payne to figure out his role and where he can be most beneficial in the line up.  In his hometown of Everett Washington Payne led his junior club, the Everett Silvertips to a Memorial Cup finish so we know the kid has potential.   

Payne seems to have the respect of his teammates and team management but how patient can they remain as he learns that the compete level is much higher here then in Junior hockey.  Payne could take days off against that competition and still be successful.  Now he’s playing with and against other great or greater players so he needs to adjust his game, earn TPE, and get better quickly.  

With games coming up against the Miami Marauders, Halifax 21s, and the dreaded 4-0 Las Vegas Aces, a team that tried to recruit Payne, he will have some decent chances to show his worth on the defensive blue line and possibly offensively as well.  We hope that Payne can continue to improve and help bring a championship season to the Marlins.

Awesome first article!! I remember in my player’s first season it took a while to get going but then I ended up with 56 points. It’s fun to see your player grow and become more competitive  with the league. 

1 hour ago, Scurvy said:

and the dreaded 4-0 Las Vegas Aces, a team that tried to recruit Payne

Wishing you luck in these upcoming games, but as Vegas’ GM, not too much luck ;)

26 minutes ago, Scurvy said:

Thank you!   I am still so lost in this

You will get better, especially if you take the recommendations of your readers into consideration. I think my articles got better as well since I started. Practice brings mastery.