Wumbo Drafted By Ottawa Lynx

Fire Tortorella

WUMBO DRAFTED BY OTTAWA LYNX

OTTAWA, ONTARIO - With the second pick in the 5th round (50th overall) of the S81 VHLM Dispersal Draft, the Ottawa Lynx selected Wumbo, a young goaltender from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Right away, it was a match made in heaven for both on ice and off ice reasons. Off the ice, The Ottawa franchise of the VHLM has a long and storied history with this player's agency. Their first player came into the league in Ottawa (then known as the Ice Dogs) around S27 or so. Many of their other players have also started as member of the Lynx. From a management perspective, the Lynx were the first management opportunity given to the owner of this player agency. They were able to win the Founder's Cup in S35 and S39 before their GM moved on to manage the Riga Reign. On the ice, Wumbo is joining a very strong Lynx team that won the Founder's Cup last season. 

Wumbo: "I think it's a great opportunity to join the Lynx. I had some conversations with management leading up to the draft so I always knew it was possibility, but now that I've been drafted by them, I'm extremely happy it work out this way. The team was obviously strong last year winning the whole thing, and going into this pre-season, we still seem to have a very strong team. I'm going to put the work in to improve myself as much as possible."

If Wumbo wants playing time, he's going to have to continue to improve each week. Incumbent goalie Ed Nu was also drafted by the Lynx (11th pick in the 2nd round, 23rd overall) after appearing in 6 games last year as a waiver wire claim. Nu got the starting nod to the season and both goalies have been told to keep the work up to split starts. However, it all seems to be working, as the Lynx are currently off to a torrid start with 6 wins in 6 games.

Wumbo: "Obviously everyone wants to play every game, but as a goalie, that's not always possible. Ed and I are both coming into a good opportunity here to show ourselves to the coaches and prove to them why we want to play. It seems like we'll be splitting starts for most of the season and that's just the reality of playing goalie in the league today. Gone are the days of struggling to find 1 solid starter - now it seems like every team has 2!"

Wumbo is going to enjoy his time in Ottawa, but he knows that it will only be for one season. After this season, he'll be drafted by both a VHL and VHLE team. Unless he starts taking some steroids (and even then, it might not be enough), he'll be playing in the VHLE next season and the VHL the season after. All in all though, he is going to continue to take the advice of the coaching staff and Lynx alumni on how to improve his game and become a professional both on and off the ice.