Armani's Promise

WildfireMicro

This story is told from the perspective of my player Armani Calamari:

"This story begins on my 9th birthday. It was a bright and slightly chilly Friday afternoon, and Dad, my friends, and my family are showing me my presents. It was mostly the stuff you usually see be given for a 9 year old's birthday, like toys and video games. My Dad had the best gift however, as he gave me a box with the VHL logo on it.

' Dad is this what I think it is?' I ask, excited

'Just open it son!' It ended up being a custom Toronto Legion jersey with my last name on the back

'This is awesome!' I say as I jump up and down. As I do, two tickets fall out of the box, and I almost scream with excitement 'you got us tickets to the game tomorrow?!'

'Yep!' He smiles big 'and those are special VIP tickets that I got a month ago and been hiding from you. They will let you meet the players before the game!'

'YES!' I yell as I hug him 'thank you so much! I love you!'

'I know son. I love you too! Now I hope you cam get some sleep, as tomorrow will be very exciting.' And that it was, as the next day me and him go get some breakfast at the local Tim Hortons before we headed to the arena about an hour later. I was absolutely starstruck as I headed into the arena and was shown on a tour of the arena to see all kinds of history. We were told many pieces of league history even a hockey nerd like me did not know at the time.

We were then shown to a special VIP area afterwards where a few players were waiting. They were all extremely nice to me and dad and put up with my excitement and want for autographs. I got them to sign a photo I took with them, and I still have that photo to this day. Just before they headed out to the locker room, I had this to say:

'I will play on this arena's ice!' I yell, full of conviction. 'Even if I play for a different team, I will play here as a VHL player! I promise!' They all chuckled good-naturedly and one of them rubs my hair

'I'll be looking forward to that kid.' That player said to me before they headed to the locker room and we were shown to our VIP seats. I don't remember much about the game besides the fact that it was a victory for the Legion, all I remember is the promise I made and how I wanted to make it come true no matter what. It still drives me right now in my career where I am currently playing for the Legion itself. I actually got ahold of that player a while ago and told him that I did fulfill that promise.

He just said to me that he knew that I could do it. And to be honest with whoever will read this journal entry, that is all the motivation I need to keep going"

• 3 weeks later...

Review:

Story based media is always great to read because it allows us to immerse ourselves in the characters within the league. I think you did a great job of telling a story and identifying clearly who the characters were. I was thinking about how at the start you could have had the first sentence still been in character -- so instead of starting with, "This story is told from the perspective of..." -- you could have instead just began as though you're speaking from the mind of Armani instead like, "It was my ninth birthday and I remember the day was chilly but the sun was bright... etc etc"

Anyway it's a job well done and I'm looking forward to seeing how your player develops.

7/10