A Christmas Break to Forget

atw2592

It was quite the interesting Christmas break for Obi Adesanya. There was no hockey to be played and South Africa is basically off-limits at this point due to Covid restrictions so he couldn't go back home. Obi was alone and since he is only 19 years old, he couldn't go out to the bars with his teammates. He basically sat in his hotel room for the first day of break just swiping on Tinder and other dating apps, trying to find a girl that would come keep him company. He did not find much luck in the dating game, only finding one "girl" who wanted to know if he was into "chocolate rain". Obi wasn't quite sure what that meant, so he took a pass.

After wracking his brain on what to do with day two of Christmas break, Obi got a brilliant idea. "Why don't I just try to get into the bars with a fake ID?" Obviously Obi had never seen the American classic, SuperBad, thus he couldn't have had an idea how crazy this night could end up. Obi was initially given some push back by his teammates, but fellow Bulls left winger, Charlie, told the rest of the guys to lighten up. How hard could it be to get someone with the stature of Adesanya into a Houston establishment with a bunch of other celebrity Bulls? They could call ahead and ask for a VIP entrance and a seating area away from anyone who would know that Obi was there, and he could just chill while the others went to the bar and got drinks and partied. Seems like a great idea, right?

Obi had never had a sip of alcohol before, so he was planning to just get a Mountain Dew and hang out and watch college football all night. The Houston area and Texas in general is a huge football state, so Obi thought he might as well get familiar with the game that most Americans generally understand. Obi was watching the UCF vs. Florida game, and he had heard on the pre-game show that Florida was the best school in Florida and that it was a privilege for UCF to just be selected to be in that bowl game. Charlie noticed that Obi was watching the game, so Charlie asked if he wanted to put a bet on the game. Charlie didn't really know much about football either, so gave Obi the chance to pick which team would win. Of course, Obi took Florida. The bet? The loser had to take 3 shots of the winner's choosing. The result?

Obi ended up having to be dragged back to his hotel room by several members of the Bulls after the Gators imploded and lost to the Knights, 29-17. Obi had to take 3 shots of Malort, which could be the worse alcoholic drink every created. Obi woke up the next morning with an enormous hangover, the likes of which he had never experienced before, which made it that much worse. Obi was not able to do any training for the rest of the week, but ended up gaining much needed camaraderie with his teammates, who still won't let him live the night down.  

Review: 9/10

First thing's first: As somebody who lived in Chicago for a while, I had a visceral reaction to taking not one, but three shots of Malort. Just, why? All in all in a fun read, I enjoy the slice of life sort of articles that add a little background and color to players. And hey, if Obi doesn't play well for a few games, you have something to explain it away! The article itself was a clean read, a small grammar error or two (the worse alcoholic drink) but nothing that really took me out of it. I generally like a headline and/or photo too, but I do appreciate the italics, showing an effort for presentation. All in all good stuff here!