Kyle Peace | Rookie Experience

Peace

KYLE PEACE
LW | 5'11 | 180 LBs
26 Years Old
VHL Entry Draft: 5th Overall [TOR]

EXPECTATIONS:

My expectations were lofty this season, perhaps even unrealistic when you paint the term 'realistic' with a broader brush; I wanted to be as successful as Fire had been last season, I craved a triple digit performance and fueled myself on the determination I'd get there at some point while I was still a rookie. Obviously I failed to reach that mark, it was probably out of reach by the first handful of games, so the dream of winning top rookie will have to slip through the cracks. I couldn't do it, dad, everyone knows the Legion gave me every opportunity to put points on the board. I led the team in shot attempts [cause I'm a greedy shooter], had a healthy plus/minus, second on the team in goals and I'd like to think 'fairly disciplined' is a fair statement. 

There was an accomplishment worth talking about though, both my father and I wanted my career to be better than his ever was. He's currently building the Toronto Legion around a shared dream, we've acknowledged that in the past, although 'winning the cup' is a pretty common objective for anyone involved in the VHL. Now don't get me wrong, we had a real opportunity here and provided more challenge than anyone thought we would. We beat LA in the wildcard round and weathered an overpowered Vancouver team fairly well, minus one particular game, but the goal this... player agency actually achieved this season was, well, my rookie season being better than my fathers during his time with the Reign. 

Moving forward though, I think the expectations are quite simple:

Attempt for triple digit production, win a championship with Toronto, compete for some individual awards and what not. 

ROOKIE SEASON RECAP:

If I were to recap the season in a single sentence, I'd say 'we did more than anyone thought possible, and then some'. We finished the season above five hundred, we made the post season -- won a round too -- when everyone had already wrote is off. Toronto produced a strong top rookie candidate in Numminen, perhaps even Lindbergh, while we all created memories of constantly proving people wrong throughout the season. What was expected of us never came to fruition, we finished above that line. The entire locker room knows this season was a major success regardless of our season ending recently. 

I guess this should be recapping my rookie season though, eh? 

It was alright. 

Thirty seven goals, thirty seven assists, seventy four points and a plus sixteen is... well, alright, I'll take it. One of the questions usually asked in these types of interviews or 'write your own story' media events is typically my favorite game. I'll save you the effort of asking, I can tell you right now it's not what you expect. Was it my hat trick game? Well, no, uh not directly anyway. Most points in a game? Nope, that ain't it either. Alright so I sorta hinted about it/lied, my favorite game is one I scored a hat trick in, but that's not the reason it was my favorite. 

You see Moscow beat the shit out of us 10-4, then a couple games later -- riding a two win streak into a rematch against Moscow -- we beat then 8-5, a statement that our young team won't go quietly and we can hold a grudge for a little while. The entire team came together beautifully, including our backup in what was a really fun game to participate in. On the flip side, the one game I hated the most, would without a doubt not be a single game but rather any of the games we blew two or three goal lead. That crap is just unacceptable, when you're in command of a hockey game by a score of 4-1 and lose 5-4, or 6-4, it's beyond disappointing. It's embarrassing, humiliating.