Jonathan Ori veteran experience

ROOKIE745

Jonathan Ori

Drafted season 79 8th overall

Something that coaches told me back as early as 12 years old was that I played like a veteran, I had great leadership and thought the game a few steps ahead of everyone else. At the time I just went along with it, I understood what he was saying but I have an even better understanding of it now than I did back then. As the veteran you are setting the example for the rookie to follow and perhaps even helping other veterans learn something new, after all just because your a veteran doesn't mean you know everything. Even though I was told I played like a veteran at a young age it doesn't mean I didn't learn more through out my years here in the VHLM and VHL now with the Helsinki Titans.

I still had a level of being shy and nervous, my on ice composure was great but I was scared of speaking up, not wanting to seem like I was a know it all or upset other, true veterans I could be to quite at times, I did a lot more watching when I probably should have spoke up or took some kind of action. I can say now that I have that confidence, I will take action and I speak up a lot, I take pride in taking action for the team. I will take a fight when I need to and I put in my best effort no matter what, rookies need to see that because it inspires them. You have to inspire strong work ethic, coaches need that player that they can point to for the young guys, say "Look at him, he goes out there every shift and isn't afraid to make a play, take a hit, and get in the corners".

I feel I've needed to fill this role a lot for a team that was rebuilding when I came in, with lots of new players someone has to direction on the ice and in the locker room. It's important that you know when to speak up and when not to though, you don't want to come off as demanding or bossy, we're all grown up here and players can figure it out for themselves to when they aren't playing good enough or know they need to bounce back from a mistake. Really what I need to do is keep everyone spirits high, that a game is never lost, and that there is no task we can't overcome. Even if your like me and told you already play like a veteran, there's still something to learn and I think you won't truly understand that till you've made it to the big leagues where you have that weight on your shoulders, to be a meaningful part of the team and to be a leader.

(word count 479)