Erlantz Jokinen Veteran Presence

jRuutu

Erlantz Jokinen Veteran Presence

RHkEYGP.jpg

I have played three full seasons in VHL. My career started in Riga, then I played in Seattle, and now I'm in Calgary. This ongoing season is my fourth year as a professional playing on the highest level. I have played over 200 regular-season games and over 30 games in the playoffs. That means I'm getting closer and closer to being among the most experienced players in this league. When I think about my first few seasons in VHL, they were the seasons for learning. I had to make mistakes to learn. I had to be in situations that I had never been in. Sometimes the opposite teams pushed me into those situations, sometimes it was my own doing. The older players let me know if I did something that is not right. That could be anything from trying risky plays with the puck or staying on the ice for too long. It was the older players who made sure I learn. Now, I'm soon one of the older players. I'm the one who needs to tell the younger players to keep it simple with the puck or to jump out of the ice to keep shifts short.

It's not enough that I verbally tell the younger players what to do. I must also lead by example. When I was coming into the league, I believed I should rely on my instincts only and focus on my own game instead of trying too hard to compare myself to other players. That is a difficult thing to do when you are also trying to learn what it takes to make it at the highest level. You have to look at what others are doing and how they are doing it. The experience of veteran players is worth a lot for that reason. The older players know exactly what younger players are thinking. The older players know how to instruct the younger players without trying too hard to make the younger players change their identity as hockey players. That is what I want to do as a veteran player as well. I want to tell the younger players they don't have to change who they are, but I also want to make sure they know there is a limit and balance to everything. The game of hockey is a team sport. You can't have players doing whatever they want, no matter how good they are at skating with the puck or in passing the puck. I want to also lead by example. Some players learn the best when you show them what to do. If they have anything between their ears, they will pick up on it.

The mistakes I made as a rookie player and the lessons I learned from the veteran players then made me the player I am today. Everything is part of the game, now it's my turn to be a veteran presence and teach the next generation of professionals about the requirements of VHL.